WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

individual 401k vs SEP

doledole subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in Business Planning
Hello StartupNation, I am starting a new business for IT contracting. What i am trying to figure out is what type of retirement plan should i get? right now i am thinking of starting an individual 401K plan with scottrade.com.. anyone done this before and have any ideas for me? i will share with you guys how it works out for me once i do it. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    balogabaloga subscriber Posts: 0
    Initially, you are better off starting with an individual K plan. With a SEP, you will be limited to an overall percentage of your income. With a 401k, you can effectively put away a greater percentage of you income after you put in your employee portion, your employer match and a profit share component.

Ed Baloga, CPA / MBA Principal CFO Baloga Associates www.twitter.com/edbaloga
  • Options
    doledole subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks baloga! thats the route I am going down on... I wonder how scottrade is vis-a-vis some one like Vanguard. Of course, I expect that I will possibly do a lot of self-management with scottrade, but i am totally game for it. Thanks for your ideas.