WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Start-up Research Underway... need some advice.

ckatecckatec subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Home-Based Businesses
Hi everyone.
I am so glad I found this site.  Within just a couple of hours (spread across 3 days~the wonderful, busy world of motherhood) I have found more information here than in the months I spent looking on google beforehand.  I feel so inspired by you all and your tips are wonderful.
I still have a lot of questions about my business.  Not sure which section to post them under so I thought I would stick to other home-business folks.
I am looking to start a grocery delivery service.  I know, it has been done a million times, but there is a clear need in my area.  I really want to do this not just for money but to help the elderly and disabled.
My question:
I received advice (not from a business person) that I contact a similar business that is about an hour away from me and ask them for advice.  I think it would be a great source of information, but they are an expanding business and I don`t really want to call their attention to the need of this area.  Would it be foolish for me to contact them?
Thanks for your responses!
~~Kate

Comments

• ckatecckatec subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful response!
    I hadn`t really thought of market-share in those terms before. 
    I believe it is a small business and that they are far enough away that it would take significant planning for them to reach out to this area.
    I also feel like the experiences she may have already had in developing her company are invaluable.  I`m working with a tiny budget and any serious mistake on my part could be the end of my dream, financially speaking.
    Seeing the situation in this new light, I feel like it is worth the risk to contact her.  I suppose she is not unaware that this need exists in my area.  I am sure it exists everywhere.
    Thank you Craig!
    ~~Kate
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Would it be foolish for me to contact them?
    No.
    You are very likely to learn from their mistakes, potentially saving yourself a lot of money and aggravation.
    Good luck!
  • ckatecckatec subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you both very much.
    I don`t have much in the way of resources to start this business so I know I need every bit of knowledge I can borrow to avoid business-killing mistakes.
    I contacted the owner of this business this morning via email.  I have not heard back yet, but I will let you all know how things turn out!
    Thanks again!  You have all really helped me.
  • STBeEntrepreneurSTBeEntrepreneur subscriber Posts: 2
    Hello! I`m new to StartupNation so please bear with me. I am very impressed with all the info. & kindness this site & people have to offer, so it may be of no surprise that I will be asking alot of stupid questions here, but I have to start somewhere you know. So here goes...How does one find out if a company/business is legit on Google, & are there any trustworthy review sites or government sites? The BBB & the Online Business Bureau just do not seem to be of any help at all. Sometimes it can be hard when you do`nt know what you do`nt know, you know! Any information would be very appreciated. Thankyou for your time & consideration.
    Darrin