WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website development question

kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
Hi All,
I plan to have a geographically specific web based business. Does it matter where the hosting, development is done if the traffic/clientale is in another region?
In other words, could I have a site developed, hosted and maintained in US for an Asian market specific business?
Any pros and cons?
Thanks,
KJ

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Not really.  It`s the WORLD wide web, so the location of the server is generally irrelevant.  If it`s on another continent, you may run into some latency or slow links in the path between the server and the user, but it doesn`t happen often.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Not really.  It`s the WORLD wide web, so the location of the server is generally irrelevant.  If it`s on another continent, you may run into some latency or slow links in the path between the server and the user, but it doesn`t happen often.

I agree with Steve.

Dale King
  • kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Hi All,
    I plan to have a geographically specific web based business. Does it matter where the hosting, development is done if the traffic/clientale is in another region?
    In other words, could I have a site developed, hosted and maintained in US for an Asian market specific business?
    Any pros and cons?
    Thanks,
    KJ

The only drawback is if you offer not only a lot of image based content or items to download (files/music/documents/etc) and your customer base is in the Far East or South Asia the download times can be longer.  If your customers will be in Africa (specifically Southern Africa) I would strongly suggest getting hosting in South Africa/Johannesburg.
    In my last `worker bee job` one of my jobs was to deliver different web content all over the world and some countries aren`t really up to par when it comes to North America, Europe, or the Far East`s standards of internet quality.sddreamweavers6/14/2008 12:14 AM
    Thanks Aaron for the info!
  • CarverCarver subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi
    Thanks guys even I want to ask the same question but I have got my my answer in this discussion  only. Thanks a lot.
    Carver6/16/2008 7:34 AM
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Can you give more details about robot.txt. Is this generated by the web designer?
    Thanks

• infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    I agree, I`d say you should host your site as close to your target audience as possible. If your TA is in a certain city, even, try to host your site in this city. There are other things to consider about a web host, of course, but with other parameters being equal, stick to the geography of your audience.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Can you give more details about robot.txt. Is this generated by the web designer?
    Thanks

If you want a model of a solid robots.txt file check out Wikipedia.  They have indeed run into all the good and bad bots on the web.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/robots.txt
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Thanks

If you want a model of a solid robots.txt file check out Wikipedia.  They have indeed run into all the good and bad bots on the web.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/robots.txt

Great! Will Have a look at it.
    Thanks all for the great info!