WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

SEO... come out come out wherever you are

cvelkins01cvelkins01 subscriber Posts: 2
Hi all,

I hired a company to renovate and implement an SEO program to a site I recently purchased. Within the first few weeks, they indicated the traffic had been increasing and they had just begun since the traffic counter was the basic that was free. When I purchased a full fledged traffic indicator that showed me everything about my traffic from the day I purchased it, it showed the company I hired didn`t impact it at all. In fact, I`m giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may have been responsible .05%, but not likely. The rest came from pop under ads I purchased.

One last bit of info, they claimed they listed us in nearly 600 places (such Google) and even gave me a list of the companies they placed us with. When I canceled the pop under ads, I received but a handful of visitors.

So how do I measure their success, continue with zero pop under ads?

Thanks,

Cv 

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Look at the thread: "SEO`ed or Bamboozled" in the Website Critiques forum. http://www.startupnation.com/pages/comm ... _posts_SEO .asp?TID=11800&PN=1&TPN=1
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

Not sure what the pop under ads has to do with visits to your site.... you should have direct links for search engines and directories (if that`s where they submitted).

Without knowing more (your site and where they submitted your site).... a way to measure is to track from where you are getting traffic and see if the source is related to the "work" they did.

First, you should do go each and every (well maybe the most popular) sites they submitted your site to see if (1) your site is listed (2) there is a link back to your site (3) that the link is NOT a no-follow link and (4) if the link uses your targeted keywords.

BTW - web site stats should be available through your website host plus you can get good information using Google analytics.

~Roland
  • cvelkins01cvelkins01 subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Videography,

That thread appears to have been disconnected.

Hi Videography,

That thread appears to have been disconnected.
    Make sure that the URL didn`t wrap over two lines, or just look for the thread: "SEO`ed or Bamboozled" in the Website Critiques forum on StartUp Nation.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    BTW - web site stats should be available through your website host plus you can get good information using Google analytics.
     ~Roland

Second the Google Analytics.  However, Google Analytics only can tell you so much.  If you want some hardcore traffic breakdowns download the raw www log files from your webserver and get a program that can take the raw data and put it into many statistical categories.sddreamweavers6/14/2008 12:37 AM
    If you have a domain name picked out, go ahead and register it.  You can use any registrar, they all use the same database, so don`t waste your time registrar shopping.  It is important that your name be on the administrative contact.  That makes you the owner of the domain.  The registrar and hosting services do not have to be the same company, but things are easier if they are.  I personally recommend GoDaddy where I have a few sites registered and hosted.
  • cashpriorcashprior subscriber Posts: 0
    Cv,
    SEO is mostly about making your website rank higher on search engines for a specific set of keywords...
    Keeping in mind that google is the most important search engine and the one that will drive most traffic into your site, there are several ways for SEOs to achieve higher rankings and some of the most important are:
    -A proper backlinks campaigns, from quality/related websites, with the right anchor text.
    -Optimize your website pages for proper spider crawling and indexing. Keeping your content unique and relevant.
    Once that`s properly done and with some time, traffic will come by it self (needs constant maintenance though).
    You shouldn`t rate them by the amount of traffic they brought, SEO takes time, make sure you get a detailed report on the work they did.
    Could we see the website you are talking about? (To give you specifics)
    How long ago did you hired them? have they finished their work?
  • Ziyapathan0143Ziyapathan0143 subscriber Posts: 150 Silver Level Member
    The universe of Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, can appear to be unnecessarily mind boggling to the layman. As a matter of first importance the web crawlers themselves change the guidelines of what their calculations are searching for when they serve up your page. Add to that the quantity of web indexes out there and the subtleties of what they might search for contrasted and the others. Also, gracious, incidentally, you have a normal everyday employment. Unless you are a website admin, you likely don't have sufficient energy or expertise to persistently take a shot at your webpage.
  • FuloiFuloi subscriber Posts: 10
    The universe of Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, can appear to be unnecessarily mind boggling to the layman. As a matter of first importance the web crawlers themselves change the guidelines of what their calculations are searching for when they serve up your page. Add to that the quantity of web indexes out there and the subtleties of what they might search for contrasted and the others. Also, gracious, incidentally, you have a normal everyday employment. Unless you are a website admin, you likely don't have sufficient energy or expertise to persistently take a shot at your webpage.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Seo is the process of optimizing the website to reach a better position in search engine. Seo focuses on rankings in organic search results. By Seo, business or a website can gain more popularity and visibility hence it improves the profits.