WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Web Design - Pricing Help

bransonboybransonboy subscriber Posts: 5
edited June 2008 in Sales
Hey!

I have been running a web design business for about 2 years now, but it was only as a hobby and getting paid for it. But I have turned it into a business now. How would you recommend I price websites I do etc? Also what price would you reckon I should do sites for? Don`t want to rip people off, but at the same time, I don`t want to rip myself off.

Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• rfreshrfresh subscriber Posts: 0
    Charge by the hour. Most clients have no idea what they want their website to end up looking like. They are too busy running their businesses to really sit down and take the time to story board what each web page should look like. If you charge a one time fee they will Dollar you to death with endless changes. Charge a reasonable hourly rate and they will only ask you to do what has to be done and then stop.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

Hey! I have been running a web design business for about 2 years now, but it was only as a hobby and getting paid for it. But I have turned it into a business now. How would you recommend I price websites I do etc? Also what price would you reckon I should do sites for? Don`t want to rip people off, but at the same time, I don`t want to rip myself off. Any help would be great thanks.  

The biggest investment you can make is your own website.  You need something that is going to absolutely floor your potential customers and give them the reason to use you.
    I agree with Ralph.  Charge by the hour.  sddreamweavers6/8/2008 12:39 AM
  • diamondvdiamondv subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi! I too am a web designer and my pages are customized; I consider the number of hours, pages, design specifics and since I am new, I discount all my designs, from a per page price I have originated from everything involved, in hopes of repeat business and referrals. 

Thanks,
    diamondv6/12/2008 8:20 PM
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Don`t charge by the hour.  How long it takes you to write a chunk of code should not be reflected in your customer`s end price.  People are leary of hiring you by the hour because you are not working in front of them, so they feel like you might fudge your hours.  You should make deals based on content and number of pages needed.  You will know by talking with a customer if their design is going to take you a few hours or a few days. 

The drawback to that is your customer taking their dear sweet time getting back to you with approvals, updates, feedback, content.  If you`re waiting for one small piece of feedback from your customer after which you will be paid X amount of dollars and have waited weeks for them to get back to you, you`re up the creek without a paddle.
  • DCCSCSDCCSCS subscriber Posts: 6
    We often have little changes to make to our site that we probably wouldn`t do if we were paying some hourly fee.  We would just wait until there were a lot of little things that we figure would take some time and get them fixed.  If we were charged per site, we would be fiddling with it all the time with (most likely insignificant) little things.
  • sipmarketinggroupsipmarketinggroup subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    this is a great thread! very informative and useful
  • eddiegreyshermaneddiegreysherman subscriber Posts: 2
    Excellent resource for you is the pricing calculator on  www.freelanceswitch.com/rates 
    We`ve been in this business for a few years and have just now decided to go to the next level.  I used this to determine how I price my jobs.  I don`t usually charge by the hour but I do use an hourly rate to calculate the estimate.  Basically just estimate how long you think the job will take.  Use a rate such as this one...and go.
    This makes it fair for you and your client.