WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Computer Repair Service - Expanding Opportunities

generalyageneralya subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Sales
Hi, I started a local computer service business and would like to know some advertising stratgies that fits this type of work.
Basic company info:
Opened in March `07
retail front 1,400 sqft, strip mall (next to safeway), good neighborhood
1 full time and 2 part time employees
service any type of pc problems, onsite
2 monthly IT supports as of 01/08 (fixed monthly income)
The company is breaking even now and I would like to start investing some money in advertising to help it grow.  I currently rely on word of mouth mainly in addition to free advertising:
craigslist
google/yahoo/msn listing
yelp
In the past we have tried coupons, email listings, handing out flyers, trade shows.  The outcomes weren`t great but was enough to recover the original cost.  I am wondering what are some marketing/advertising ways to expand a computer service business?  You can PM me and I will send you a URL of our website if you are interested in more details, thanks in advance!

Comments

• SecurityProfessionalSecurityProfessional subscriber Posts: 2
    I have known people in your business who get all the work they can handle from just one or two small to mid-sized businesses. These are companies that are too small to have their own IT support person, but still need to have the work done. Architectural and consulting engineering  firms can be great clients as they make extensive use of computers in their work.

If you wanted to go after this type of business, I would suggest good old-fashioned cold calling and networking with the types of businesses in your area that would be good candidates to use your services. You are bound to come across people who have a pending project or who are dissatisfied with their current service provider.
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    A friend of mine runs a similar business and he has had good luck running small display ads in the local paper and shopper stopper. He has found it effective at keeping his business message in front of consumers all of the time, not just when they need computer help.
    Good luck!
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I started a local computer service business and would like to know some advertising stratgies that fits this type of work.
    Basic company info:
    Opened in March `07
    retail front 1,400 sqft, strip mall (next to safeway), good neighborhood
    1 full time and 2 part time employees
    service any type of pc problems, onsite
    2 monthly IT supports as of 01/08 (fixed monthly income)
    The company is breaking even now and I would like to start investing some money in advertising to help it grow.  I currently rely on word of mouth mainly in addition to free advertising:
    craigslist
    google/yahoo/msn listing
    yelp
    In the past we have tried coupons, email listings, handing out flyers, trade shows.  The outcomes weren`t great but was enough to recover the original cost.  I am wondering what are some marketing/advertising ways to expand a computer service business?  You can PM me and I will send you a URL of our website if you are interested in more details, thanks in advance!
    How and where did you hand out flyers?  If you stood in front of a store and handed them out you`re not going to get many takers.  However, if you canvassed target neighborhoods by going door to door you`ll get better results.  Make sure you know the neighborhood you`re targeting is going to be worth the time you`re investing in flyers.  Also, make sure the flyer is not cluttered and has copy that will grab the person and get their attention.
    You also might want to see if your town has computer related magazines and put ads in there.  In addition you may want to get in a partnership with a marketing person or with a computer parts/sales store.sddreamweavers1/10/2008 6:10 PM