WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What would you do with $200,000?

justyouraveragejogglerjustyouraveragejoggler subscriber Posts: 1
If you could leave your 9-5 job today and had a nest egg of $200,000 built up, what would you do?  It`s not an enormous sum of money but it`s a pretty good start.  How do you overcome the fear of leaving a job you`re successful at to pursue some unknown?

Comments

• Options
    LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    I left my 9-5 job 2 years ago with only $25000 nest egg. The story didn`t start and stopped there. Prior to leaving, I have been planning my exit for 3 years.  I amped all of my savings to maximum (401k and personal savings).   Besides the monetary preparations, I had been investing in real estate while I was still working so I can look good on paper for bank financing.  The "salary" and job stability qualified me to take on mortgages as I built a mini real estate empire.With $200,000- I will buy in a big share of a tech start up who is in the midst of beta testing a sure fire technology that will be big in the next few years.By carefully planning and applying myself and educating myself thoroughly, it gave me the confidence to leave my 9-5er job and pursued  all the unknowns.
    Ltressel2007-10-10 16:46:4
  • Options
    I had very little next egg when I left my previous job to start my business. If I`d had $200,000 I would have gotten more training, hired a coach right away and spent more on hired help - a VA, graphic designer, web designer and accountant.
    How did I overcome fear? I didn`t. Some days the fear is almost overwhelming.
    On the other hand, I`ve been wanting to be self employed since I was in my 20s. I decided if I didn`t do it now, I`d never do it and I didn`t want to regret not taking the chance. I focus on my long term goals for motivation and focus on small, immediate steps I can take to overcome the fear.
    In the final analysis, it was making the decision that my success or failure would be a direct result of my actions. I`d have no one to blame either way except for me. That freed me up to take the plunge.