WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I am so nervous about selling my product...Please Help!!!

AnUrbanTwistAnUrbanTwist subscriber Posts: 6
My name is Nicole, and I am the owner of JournalJunky.com.  Here is a little background:
Journal Junky offers recycled handmade journals.  I created this business because:

1. I looovvve journals, writing, pens... 
2. I enjoy offering earth-friendly "paper fun."
3. I am passionate about writing and the ability to express oneself.

Journal Junky`s Mission: "To inspire all to embrace the calming, empowering, and healing properties of writing."

This being said, my business has taken off in the last three months!  I have been contacted by a couple of boutiques who bought my journals.  This has been very exciting.  Now I am ready to move forward, but I am afraid.  I know all business success lies in taking risks but I am afraid that if this really takes off, I may not be able to control the success.  How can I distribute thousands of journals if the need arises?!!!!  I know I`m looking far into the future, but this kind of thinking has kept me from taking action.

I have decided to conquer my fears and just pound the pavement.  I would like to get my little books into the local General Store chain, local hospital gift shop, locally owned bookstores, and even the local pet store.  I have the phone numbers to these places, but I am not sure how to approach them.

I do not have a sales or marketing background and I don`t even know the correct jargon to use! Should I go into these places and ask for a manager and show my wares, or should I call and ask to make an appointment with the buyer? Or should I email them first?  What if they are not interested?  Should I try harder?  I would really like to make a lot of sales for the upcoming holidays.  I look forward to hearing your responses!

Thank you and enjoy your day,

Nicole Annette

www.JournalJunky.com

www.AnUrbanTwist.com

Comments

• AnUrbanTwistAnUrbanTwist subscriber Posts: 6
    Oh thank you sooooo much Chris for sharing that with me.  You have really inspired me so much.  I will update you on how it goes.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nicole Annette

www.JournalJunky.com

www.AnUrbanTwist.com
    Hmmmmm.  Will do.  Thanks for the nugget of advice!

Nicole

www.JournalJunky.com

www.AnUrbanTwist.com
    Chris,

I just checked out your site.  I am amazed!!! That is such a brilliant idea! Wow.

Nicole
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    when somebody copies your product and sells it for ten percent less, what will your recourse be?
    That`s a good question...
    Hi Chris!

I followed your advice!  Please check out my blog to read about my success.   (I also featured you for giving me the advice).

Thanks again!

Nicole Annette

www.JournalJunky.com

www.JournalJunky.blogspot.com
    Thank you for checking out my blog and providing the feed info.  I think it`s all set up now!  I invite you to join me on my adventures and follow the Journal Junky Blog!

Enjoy your day,

Nicole

www.JournalJunky.blogspot.com

www.JournalJunky.com
    Such excitement!  But HELP!!!

www.JournalJunky.com has exploded!!! When I began to make the earth-friendly journals in August, I never expected the business to boom so fast.  I have now landed an account with a small chain of stores.  The chain includes seven stores in the mid to southwest east region of the U.S. 

The buyer asked me to fill out a vendor`s application which asked questions like what is my "required minimum order amount and reorder amount?"  I really have no idea on what to set as minimums.  I am afraid to set it too high or too low.  I was thinking about 30 per store as an opening order and 20 as reorder minimums.  Is there some kind of formula to come to this answer or do I just make up a number?

Also the buyer would like me to make custom journals for the company.  She stated that her marketing department has to initiate the images, but if they came up with something, could they send the images to me for paper production or would they need to find a producer to supply the paper to me?  This is an exciting opportunity, but what are the legal ramifications?  That`s my largest concern.  (I am thinking that they need to supply me with the paper with their logo on it.  This keeps down my costs, or I would have to charge them more...)

The last thing I am wondering about is payment terms.  The buyer told me that the terms were up to me.  This is how she explained it:

"We typically are asked to set up net/30 day terms by the majority of our vendors.  We pay your invoice 30 days after receiving the goods.  However, we have also gotten 2%/15 day terms which gives us a 2% discount if we pay in 15 days, etc., etc." 

How far can I go with this?  "50% off if you pay me tomorrow?"-Good Grief!!

How do I set up payment terms, and does this sort of agreement need a legal contract to draw up these terms?

I`m asking because you all have really been a great encouragement to me since I first started.  Please share any advice.  I appreciate it.

Enjoy your day!

www.JournalJunky.com

Earth-Friendly Paper Fun

AnUrbanTwist11/12/2008 4:34 PM
  • mahriyahmahriyah subscriber Posts: 2
    I just checked out your products and they`re great. You`re very talented. I wish you much luck with finding merchants to sell your products!
    MariaMy link
  • AngelDoughAngelDough subscriber Posts: 0
    Keep up the great work and don`t allow your fears to hold you back....let them work to your advantage....

I left practising law ten years ago to start an internet marketing company all by myself.....everyone tought I was nuts...give up law to chase an internet dream???

I didn`t really think twice to be honest and knew that whatever I did I would be successful......ten years later my company has twice been on the INC List of fastest growing companies in America and we have gone to 50+ people.....

If you LOVE what you do and are motivated to succeed, you can do what you want!

I am clearly living proof of that - keep truckin`!!