WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Does keeping it simple work? your comments content and design.

windowswindows subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2009 in Website Critique
First I would like to compliment startupnation on the vibrant colours, easy user interface and general layout of the site, very much alive. In the present global recession the concept is well placed to attract a lot of interest.
Now for my own website. The idea was to keep it clean, simple and functional. I have used phpbb (free). The T shirt market world wide is worth billions its a huge market. A forum with useful user content has the capacity to grow and open up other avenues longer term and that would be the long term goal. Right now this forum is new. The problem is gaining the traction in the early stages, as they say you have to start somewhere.  Here is the link to my site thanks.

Comments

• rahimrahim subscriber Posts: 0
    Create a blog. Bring attention to it and start commenting on other sites. I like the way it looks. It`s good, you just need to market yourself more. Put your FAQs in a PDF file on your blog along with the Rules and general information.
  • windowswindows subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The blog idea sounds good, will look at that. I have not a clue about marketing myself, I will need to look at that too. Thanks.
    Also, you can go into other forums and leave your site as your calling card like we do here. A blog will let you explain more in depth what you`re looking for and how. You have to drive traffic to your site. It`s not enough to just put up a website. I`m finding that out myself. LOL!!
    I have to agree, having a start up forum is an even bigger challenge, not only finding ways to drive traffic, but getting a user base that can allow the forum to reach critical mass and start growing. Many forums end up gathering dust in cyber space!
    For those that have looked at my website so far, thanks for taking the time to do so.  So far the feedback is create a blog, leave a calling card (I guess you mean a sig) and marketing. Thanks. Will keep you posted when the blog is up and running.
    Also use iList.com to advertise, it`s FREE! I call it the pretty version of Craigslist! LOL!
    Will check it out Thanks.
    Long story short. I was in the computing industry for years, even made it to engineer and was laid off a few years back due to plant closure. During the "consultation" period (I live in the UK) I did a couple of comptia certs and later I did night classes at a local college for multi media and web design. I became interested in web design and would slog away with dreamweaver, flash and Fireworks putting fairly basic sites together. Right now I do have a job in a completely different field now.My websites are a hobby at the moment, I pay for hosting and do the rest myself and I am learning as I go. I have another website which is joomla based and is a list of fests and events in europe. So if all else fails I have something I can turn my hand to (well I hope so anyway, but who knows). Anyone who has built a website on their own will know that it takes time for it to gain any visibility on the web at all and even longer to gain any significance, maybe and probably never (being realistic). Longer term, I might get more adventurous and go further but I want to build a few foundations first, see how it goes and take it from there. If I do most of the work myself I can keep my costs to an absolute minimum and know the nuts n bolts.One more thing, the web was never designed or intended for e-commerce, if you run a website and check your logs you will see the scans and hack attempts (ftp attempts seem popular) and it is a concern. Until there is a secure e-commerce solution my own view is that people will still feel more comfortable with bricks and mortar stores that have a web presence rather than just a web store. The startupnation website seems to have its share of sharp people and a valuable resource for those even thinking about a business, so I like to chip in.
    From a purely business standpoint you are correct. I think that as a techy I dont have any real business experience, I like to play with the tech side of things. I have a relative  who has pretty much said the same thing as you, as in, just make some money ( he uses e-bay). I guess I am putting the cart before the horse in some ways however I am looking at other options as well. Frankly I need to do some more market research as I have a couple of ideas that are more niche than the t shirts. But your comment is a good reality check and anyone considering a busineess venture sure needs a few.
    windows2009-7-16 18:11:35
    Using your example, most would probably agree that artistic idealism and making money do not sit well together. Getting a good fit between the two, that is, satisfying the pursuit of your artistic/intellectual endeavours, whether that being baking a cake or rocket science and making money(from your own business) is, in my opinion, a combination of several factors such as self confidence, positive mental attitude, experience, guidance, preparation,  luck and being able to get out of the comfort zone (or maybe just having no comfort zone!).I don`t think there is a one size fits all solution to being a success, for example, many business people I have come across are risk takers and opportunists, while scientists and technologists tend to be slow, methodical, analytical perhaps even slightly eccentric, both very different but just as likely to succeed in what they do. Even getting somewhere in "your own mind" is in a way an acheivement, not likely to make you rich or popular but at least some sense of self satisfaction.As you say   "The advantage of linking what you do with an open market is that you get real and useful feedback. It`s easy to do whatever you want when there`s no stakes attached. But when you`re actually trying to make some money, that means paying attention to feedback."  For many people, constructive crticism is hard to take,  but your right it has to be done, difficult though it is.. I remember hearing someone say "dont take advice from people who have never made mistakes"  Sound well placed and informed advice is not easy to come by and some people are just too proud to ask, or too sensitive to take flak. You made some very valuable  comments, not just for me but anybody else reading. Having a job  does make it difficult to commit to a start up right now. However if that changes , who knows, it might be the best option.