WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Pet Peeves - what annoys you most?

rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
We`ve had a number of threads that discuss what you should do to create a great website.  Having just experienced what I am about to describe below, I thought it might be just as helpful (if not slightly amusing) to discuss what about a website makes you leave immediately with the promise to never return...Websites that blast music or any type of audio as soon as it loads.The only thing worse (at this moment) is the same site that also doesn`t let you turn it off!!!R-

Comments

• Options
    postcarderpostcarder subscriber Posts: 1
    Sites that fall apart in Mozilla Firefox or Opera. C`mon, people. It`s the World Wide Web, not the Microsoft Internet Explorer Web. Design and test your sites on more than just MSIE.
  • Options
    drdesignsdrdesigns subscriber Posts: 1
    All the above.

Plus, web sites that don`t support Safari 10.3.9. (example - all GAP, Inc.
    companies).
  • Options
    Craig - your post made me think of this:

Our local community college teaches web design, yet every time I access
    their web site I have a hard time finding what I`m looking for. Something
    as simple as a school calendar such be a click away on the home page,
    not buried deep within the site.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    along with all that was stated above... sites that are built for the PC user and not the Mac user in mind. 20 years ago they said Mac would die and everyone would be using a PC. Today, Mac users are on the rise and they are more connected to the brand than PC users.So please oh please design your site with Mac users also. It doesn`t take much more work... just knowledge.
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Craig - your post made me think of this:

Our local community college teaches web design, yet every time I access
    their web site I have a hard time finding what I`m looking for. Something
    as simple as a school calendar such be a click away on the home page,
    not buried deep within the site. Very much in agreement here.  Sites that make you search all over to figure out how to contact someone, for the answer to a simple question, drive me nuts (or at least nuttier).- J.
  • Options
    amacgi1amacgi1 subscriber Posts: 2
    Neon colors.
    Especially when they`re flashing.
  • Options
    This is good my fellow SuNsters, so here`s a short list of what we hate the most (in no particular order, that`s for a poll next week!):Sites designed for a single browser, typically Microsoft Internet Explorer.Sites designed for a single platform, typically Windows (which is, of course, made up of 4 or 5 different, usually non-compatible, versions at any one given time).Sites with neon, especially if it is flashing at you.Sites that blast any type of audio the moment they are loaded, and then give you no options for turning it off.Sites with hyooge blocks of non-formatted, run-on text with no breaks.  Then compound the problem by putting it on a background that makes it even more impossible to read.Sites that offer you a great deal, or some type of really valuable information, but then make it impossible to actually find.Sites that use flashy Flash or any form of cool new technology just for the sake of being able to say, "Hey, my site has cool new technology that does absolutely nothing for you.  But it`s Cool!!!"Sites with typos and bad grammar.Sites that use pop-ups, pop-unders or any type of advertising that blocks the actual content of the site.Sites that are composed of one large, sliced and then re-stitched image.Hmmm, not a bad list to stay away from I`d say.  Are there more?  I`m sure there is and we want to hear about them!!!R-
    < style="border: 0px none ; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; overflow: ; width: 100%; height: 24px;" id="oakvoc__title">< style="border: 0px none ; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; overflow: ; width: 100%; height: 328px;" id="oakvoc_">rossb2006-9-14 15:38:56
  • Options
    postcarderpostcarder subscriber Posts: 1
    Okay, here`s another pet peeve: Sites that have overly busy home pages. This was especially prevalent during the "portal" era. It lingers on in the financial sector.
  • Options
    I`ve came upon some web sites lately where the type was tiny plus
    reverse white on a dark background. I couldn`t read it, even with my
    reading glasses.

When setting the type size for your web site, please remember some of
    the people reading it may be over 40.

• Options
    jcijci subscriber Posts: 1
    I hate sites that don`t let you back out.  I got stuck on one today and had to shut down explorer and start over. 
  • Options
    MatthewReinboldMatthewReinbold subscriber Posts: 3
    We`ve mentioned Flash, which is very valid, but I want to specifically point out FLASH INTRODUCTIONS. They are double-plus bad when there isn`t a `skip` option. Sure, they`re swanky the first time I come to a site but DON`T MAKE ME WATCH IT EVERY SINGLE TIME; I`ll stop going to the site before I stop caring about that time waster.
  • Options
    And the list continues to grow...Home pages that try to include everything.Cryptic Flash navigation that makes you guess where it`ll send you.Small reverse white type on dark backgrounds.  OK, actually dark backgrounds in general.Sloooooooooowwwwww loading sites.Entry pages, usually in Flash, for no logical reason, especially when they don`t include an option to "skip intro..."Forms created in Flash.Sites using multiple fonts as though they were designed back when desktop publishing first became popular with the masses...Sites that only use "Times New Roman" - ...shows that they didn`t make the effort to change the default font.(edit)Sites that won`t let you leave.Sites that automatically resize your browser window to fit your entire screen.It seems that the use of Flash (or overuse/misuse) accounts for a lot of these complaints.  That`s something we should all probably keep in mind while designing our own sites.Are there more peeves out there?Thanks everyone!R-
    rossb2006-9-21 20:51:36
  • Options
    Pat -Thanks so much for the info, you make some fantastic points!I must be having a really off day though because this is the second post today that I`ve had to offer clarification on, maybe one too few cups of coffee (or one too many     )!!!As the originator of this thread, I have on a couple of occasions taken the time to compile a general list of those insights offered by everyone.  That particular post also included a reference to not having bothered to change the default font, (I have edited the list to reflect this for the sake of clarity and so as not to misrepresent the original post) to which you pointed out will typically display as Times New Roman.Something else to keep in mind...Most browsers default to Times New Roman, so when you see that font it may be specified,Anyway, sorry for any confusion or for insinuating that Times New Roman is somehow a font that automatically represents poor quality or choice.R-
  • Options
    mikechongmikechong subscriber Posts: 2
    i think the fact that a lot of people have broadband connection means that flashy websites will still be attractive to them - ISPs are continuously improving on the infrastructure so we`ll always be getting better and better speedson the other hand,   , i still prefer simple websites -> straight to the point
  • Options
    MatthewReinboldMatthewReinbold subscriber Posts: 3
    I don`t think that the gripes with `Flashy` websites are due to the bandwidth available. It is true that the bigger pipes bridging machines today has allowed rich internet interactivity. However, it`s all about functionality. If the flash is used to create the web 2.0 version of a `flaming logo` it will annoy people. If its strengths are leveraged - streaming audio, video, and content animation - it`s a perfectly site inclusion.
    MatthewReinbold2006-9-22 3:6:6