WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Grants & Funding

mybOutiquedreammybOutiquedream subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in Startup Funding
I am planning to open my own home decor shop and need funding! I`m not sure exactly how much- but I`m pretty sure it will be a lot!
I`ve heard people talk about grants that are out there to help women start their own businesses- does anyone know of any or where to go to find them?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Finding a funding strategy for a specific situation begins with a pretty specific amount needed. I would suggest continuing your planning process so you can identify the amount of capital you need.
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Check with your local Small Business Development Center (SBDC). They`ll be able to give you the (honest) scoop on available grants.
    Good luck!
  • mybOutiquedreammybOutiquedream subscriber Posts: 1
    Great! Thanks for all your input.

Has anyone ordered the software from Small-Business-Grants.biz? I like that they have a book to help you put together your purposal, and then software to search for available grants.
  • startuphelperstartuphelper subscriber Posts: 2
    Boutiquedream, to be perfectly honest with you, you really shouldn`t waste anymore time going down the grants road. You won`t find any meaningful grants for a for-profit start up. The type of business you want to start (which sounds like it would be great fun) won`t qualify for any grants. Sure, there are small grants here and there you might apply for (we`re talking $1000 or so) but the competition will be fierce and in the long run that little bit of cash won`t go far.

A new start up like you`re talking about will run you at least $40,000 and that`s starting small. You should concentrate on finding other sources for funding. Can you qualify for a loan? Can you borrow from friends or family (not recommended)? Can you get a home equity loan? Can you cash out a 401K (also not recommended)? Can you pull money from credit cards?

While some of those suggestions are not my first recommendation, you will stand a better chance at seeing your dream become a reality going those routes than spending weeks and months looking for non existent grants.

I do wish you luck! (I offer viable funding options in my startup kit.)

Sylvia

http://smallbusinessstartup.biz

Biz Startup & Biz Plan Help
    Biz Startup BLOG
    startuphelper2/27/2008 3:30 PM
  • allianceonellcallianceonellc subscriber Posts: 0
    We all know that starting up a business is a tough task and the most daunting task between the process, is to arrange the finance. In fact, if a company is not funded it is unable to accomplish its mission which is the purpose of its existence. Obtaining funding should start with a solid business plan.