WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Any suggestions for finding a mentor?

oneorganizedlifeoneorganizedlife subscriber Posts: 4
I would really like a mentor in my field (professional organizing).I have a day job, working for a guy who teaches a wealth building course of sorts. During one of the weeks, he focused on mentoring. during my eavesdropping, he mentioned that the participants should seek out a mentor in their field - and not someone who is just one step above where they are, but shoot as far as they can.The problems I have faced so far are:- many professional organizers aren`t interested in being mentors. A lot of them offer "coaching" to other organizers and charge a hefty fee for such. More than my start up, still working a day job so I can eat  budget can afford. a lot of what we do as organizers is coach clients, so I guess they don`t want to give it away free.- many in the area aren`t interested because, I`ve found, they see other organizers as competition. this is true in some regard - but you can`t work with every client in los angeles county!! I tried to network with organizers months back - because I had projects i wanted to REFER to other people...and I still got limited responses back.So, what should I do? Any suggestion on how I should target the people I have my eyes set on?

Comments

• oneorganizedlifeoneorganizedlife subscriber Posts: 4
    What about wording it as more of an `intern`.... that way they get the benefit of someone working for free while you get to learn how they do things? I guess this would only work with people who are close to you.  Bringing it at them this way satisfies their WIIFM (What`s In It For Me) need while still allowing you to learn if they go for it.
    Angela, that`s an option, I suppose. I feel like I have almost all of the organizing stuff down...I need more help with the business aspect. But perhaps that`s something I could learn more about if I used the intern tactic.
  • sportsguy7sportsguy7 subscriber Posts: 2
    Hello CraigL,Pleased to meet you. I have read several of your feeds this weak and this one sounds like my type of situation.I am looking for someone to guide me,( not do it for me) to the next level of my business. I am determined, dedicated and persistent in my success in this business.Would you privilege me by allowing me to add you to my buddy list?Thank you,Troy Taylor
    First off, I do not think it`s a requirement to have a mentor. That`s not where I`m coming from. I just think, given various things that make up who I am and where I am in my life right now, that one would be beneficial.I`d be happy to pay someone, if it was within my reach. But hiring a "coach" - particularly one for organizing, has a higher price than I can pay. Most professional organizers charge higher rates than I charge to work with clients...and then their "coaching" services are usually more than THAT. Some take on "apprentices" or people for their teams but (1) they pay less for than than what I charge my clients and (2) since I do have a business that I am establishing, they don`t want to "compete."  I even had one person say I could be on her team, if I put my business aside. Mmmm....not really interested in doing that.I actually lost my train of thought while reading your response, so that`s all I have for now
    The one think which mentoring can provide is faster results. Mentoring is about learning from someone who has already been successful in the field you wish to progress in. The problem is there is no `certification` with mentoring or coaching. Anyone can set up and offer mentoring/coaching services. The trick is to find the right one for you. Get references and find someone who offers a short term commitment - no matter how good a mentor, you may not get on together.Andrew
    Andrew, you raise good points.  As I pointed out in my original post, many organizers consider themselves at least part coach, because we really do have to coach clients in order for them to get things done and make changes. But, in my search for a mentor who is an organizer, I can`t even get far enough to figure out if someone is "right for me" because they either don`t mentor and/or they provide coaching at rates I can`t afford. In terms of a general business coach, I already have a few in my network that I could use, if that`s what I wanted.
    Hello greatmanagement,Thank you for your reply, I will consider your advice.I am working on finding funding for my business right now. It looks like I will get something. I will be viewing my SuN account often.Thanks again,Troy
    Hello oneorganizedlife,I appreciate your views.I probably need some of your services, I tend to get unorganized with 4 teen age boys!I do have some help, but not on a regular basis.If you have a chance, would you look at my profile and or my store to see if I could improve my store organization. http://stores.ebay.com/e-ExtremeSportSupplyAny suggestions would be much appreciated.Thank You,Troy
  • KenGaloKenGalo subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Oneorganizedlife,

I have a good friend down in the Memphis area who does this for a living.  She is also part of my mentoring group and assists quite a number of people.

Go to www.globalcleaningassociation.com sign on, it`s free and on the discussion board look for HelpMeRhonda,  tell her Ken sent you.
    Hello oneorganizedlife,I appreciate your views.I probably need some of your services, I tend to get unorganized with 4 teen age boys!I do have some help, but not on a regular basis.If you have a chance, would you look at my profile and or my store to see if I could improve my store organization. http://stores.ebay.com/e-ExtremeSportSupplyAny suggestions would be much appreciated.Thank You,Troy
    Hey there Troy,Thanks for your comment. For some reason, I stopped getting notified of replies to this thread!Yes, being unorganized with teenagers around is pretty common. I work well with teens and have had a couple of clients hire me to help their kids.I will definitely take a look at your site and give you some feedback when I have a little time.Thanks!

But, in my search for a mentor who is an organizer, I can`t even get far enough to figure out if someone is "right for me" because they either don`t mentor and/or they provide coaching at rates I can`t afford.How would you know they are right for you?AndrewAndrew,My apologies - I somehow stopped getting responses to this thread.A large part of knowing if they are "right for me" is getting a chance to meet with them or at least talk to them on the phone....with most, I haven`t even gotten that far.

Hey Oneorganizedlife,

I have a good friend down in the Memphis area who does this for a living.  She is also part of my mentoring group and assists quite a number of people.

Go to www.globalcleaningassociation.com sign on, it`s free and on the discussion board look for HelpMeRhonda,  tell her Ken sent you.
    Ken, thanks for the link to your friend. I will make time to check it out this week!