WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need Clothing Line Manufacturing advice

nkemnkem subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in Selecting a Business

Hello all,

I was looking for info and googled myself to this gr8 site.

I actually intend to start a clothing line for Mens Dress Shirts, Trousers and Suits with another line dedicated to T-shirts and Jeans.

I actually have to say the truth, im intending "copying" a great designer whom iv fallen in love with his designs but is not popular in my target markets. I definetely will do tiny modifications where need be, but the basics will be based on his designs.

Pls I need all the advice I can get, as I`m considering China as the manuf base. Things that come to my mind after weeks of research include:

1. China agent (are they called aggregators ?) to oversee (maybe) everything

2. Good quality dress manufaturers

3. Maths of costing and budgeting

4. Shipping info, etc

As I learn more, I will ask more questions on this thread, and hopefully, experienced people can assist.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Some time back, I posted a link to an article in a magazine about a manufacturer.  He was going to produce a new style of motorcycle helmet.  He chose a plant in China to produce the helmets.  The company failed to follow his design specifications, used very cheap parts.  So, the first couple of helmet orders were junk.  He eventually had to fly to China and actually work at each assembly station to show the factory workers what he wanted.  If you can afford to do the same, then China might be your answer.  Otherwise, consider Mexico.  Or, my preferred country - USA.  It`s far easier to travel to a factory in either of these two countries than one in China.
    nevadascul4/5/2009 6:43 PM
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    i have heard similar things about China.  Following specifications, even when detailed and written, seems to be hard for many Chinese manufacturers.

• Options
    TeeTickTeeTick subscriber Posts: 0
    Before working with a clothing factory overseas, you need to check for their legitimate, asking them for references, and if you just want to order a small run of your own private label clothes then a clothing factory that accepts paypal is preferable.