WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Selling imported products in the U.S.

infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Grab Bag
Hello, I have a question. Say I want to sell some imported product in the U.S. (an electric appliance). Do I need to get any type of certification for it here in the States?

Comments

• menexismenexis subscriber Posts: 1
    If its not food or beverage related you dont need any certification or license to conduct business in the US.  Depending on how you setup the business, the best advice will be to register your business for tax purposes.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    be aware of trademark and copyright and patent issues - double check before you ship.

• passion09passion09 subscriber Posts: 0

hi infilta,

The only legal requirements to opening an import business are having an importer of record number, which is usually just the business`s tax-identification number, and a surety bond to protect the U.S. government if you can`t pay your duties, taxes and other fees. Surety bonds are required for all entries where the shipment is valued at more than $2,000, but are used on smaller shipments also. They can be purchased through a surety company or a customs broker. There are single-entry bonds that cover one entry.  Unless you intend to only import once or twice a year I would recommend that you buy a continuous bond.  Continuous bonds cover all your import shipments for a year or longer.

• spicatechspicatech subscriber Posts: 0
    I plan to import textiles and furniture ( wood and iron) .

Question
    Where should i get retailers.. I am not sure if any one will entertain me if i walk in and give the proposal to see my product..

Would appreciate suggestion on what to get from the manufacturer and how to start marketning to get customes( retailers)

Thanks
    A
  • emeliaingramemeliaingram subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    passion09 said:

hi infilta,

The only legal requirements to opening an import business are having an importer of record number, which is usually just the business`s tax-identification number, and a surety bond to protect the U.S. government if you can`t pay your duties, taxes and other fees. Surety bonds are required for all entries where the shipment is valued at more than $2,000, but are used on smaller shipments also. They can be purchased through a surety company or a customs broker. There are single-entry bonds that cover one entry.  Unless you intend to only import once or twice a year I would recommend that you buy a continuous bond.  Continuous bonds cover all your import shipments for a year or longer.

Well yea customs broker handles the documents for importing, so they can really be purchased or you can let the customs broker to process for your imports.

Regards,
    Emelia I.
    BR International Licensed Customs Brokers