WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sell Your Experience

babyboomerbevbabyboomerbev subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2013 in Boomers Back in Business

Which sounds better? 

“I’m a 51-year-old media consultant” or “I’m a media consultant with more than 25 years of experience in the business.”

What does being a 51-year-old media consultant mean?  I could be a novice in the field who knows less than a 30-something professional.  Banking on your age alone in the business world may be more of a deterrent these days than you think.  Don’t get me wrong, age does have its advantages but in the business world, it’s more about what you know. 

Therefore, as an older professional business man or woman you’ve got to SELL YOUR EXPERIENCE!

You Know People:

You have worked long enough and SMART enough to have developed business contacts of tremendous value.  No 25-year-old executive will ever match the number and depth of contacts a veteran business woman or man brings to the table.

You Bring Wisdom and Sage Leadership:

After more than 25 years in the workforce, you’ve taken your knocks, you’ve learned the hard lessons, and you’ve demonstrated your ability to lead, achieve and succeed.

You Represent Credibility:

You give your company instant credibility, simply by your level of maturity.  The fact that you have learned how to wheel and deal over the years with some of the best men and women makes you a force to be reckoned with. 

You have real-life experience: 

Today, employers want workers who can hit the ground running and older workers have more real-world experience with less drama.  Also, customers want to deal with business owners who know how to treat them as a person and not as a “sale.”

Your Network is Bigger:

All those years of Chamber of Commerce Meetings, along with other business, church and social networking clubs haven’t been for nothing.  These are invaluable contacts that not only help you generate sales but also help you expand your networking base even wider.

Abigail Van Buren, the Dear Abby columnist, was once quoted as saying:
If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us we’d be millionaires
.”  So what kind of deposit are you prepared to make?

Comments