WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Pay for Performance Marketing

webdesignwebdesign subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2008 in Marketing
Hello,

I`m new to the forums - what a great idea.  I`ve recently started a web development business, and I`m looking for ways to market it.

I have a couple questions I hope that people can help me with.

1. Pay for performance or hourly?
I`m hesitant to pay a marketer or salesperson to "see what happens".  I keep talking to PPC, email, and telemarketing companies, and they all say that they can deliver, but aren`t willing to promise any sales, which I find frustrating.  I`ve therefore been looking for a company or salesperson that will sell my services on a commission or per lead (guaranteed) basis.

It hasn`t been the easiest search.  I did find one company, NVA (nvamarketing.com) that says they`re willing to do Internet marketing and telemarketing for me on a performance basis.  They seem very professional...but they said before they would consider taking on my company, I needed to improve my marketing materials...which I admit should be greatly improved.

Has anyone worked with them before?

Does anyone know of any other company that does this?  Or another way that I can find a company?

2. What type of marketing should I do? 
I do all types of web design.  Has anyone marketed this before?  Does anyone know what type of marketing works best me?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I agree with David.

You must have a plan. The number one mistake that most
    people who attempt to make money online make is they don`t
    have a plan of any kind.

There`s an age old proverb by
    Thomas Edison that accurately states: "He who fails to
    plan, plans to fail."

Develop a well-thought-out plan for
    what you want to do and how you plan to do it - a roadmap
    to your goals if you will. Write it down, and refer to it
    often. Not only can you use it to monitor your progress, it
    will help keep you on track as well.

By the way, no reputable marketing company can guarantee sales.

If a company guarantees you sales, it`s probably a scam!

David Jackson
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    most marketing plans are really scams.  in reality, the market changes quickly so marketing plans are quickly out of date - which means the marketing guys want to get paid - again.  You will get a lot further trusting your gut.
  • Options
    webdesignwebdesign subscriber Posts: 1
    Hmm, good point James.  I`ve been thinking about getting a marketing plan, because I`m looking for help, but you have a point.  It seems like the marketing world is full of guru`s who want to be paid for promising nothing.  They sell knowledge, saying that they can teach you how to sell, yet most of these guru`s will never grow a business beyond themselves.  Teach versus do right?
    webdesign12/20/2008 11:13 AM
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    yes.  just take a look at the people that responded to your post and other posts on this forum.  The whole mess of "life coaches" and "search engine optimizers" and the like are enough to make one sick.  A basic website, and not one that will cost $4,000 up front and/or a license fee or fee to "maintain" the site of several hundred per month, are more than enough for most businesses.
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Patentandtrademark your posts in this forum have given no advice or solution to webdesign`s situation.  I have seen some of your other posts and they are the same--negative and condescending. They produce no solutions, and you attack other forum members.
    What is the point of this?

David, I was wondering the same thing, but since I`m new here, I didn`t want to get into an unnecessary war of words.

But I agree with you 100%.

Hopefully, we`ve both misinterpreted what James was trying to say and can move on from here in a positive fashion, respecting the thoughts and opinions of other members.

David Jackson