WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Invention design assistance

TommyKTommyK subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2008 in Developing Your Invention
I have an invention and have done my own patent and market search and feel it may be unique.
It is a basic mechanical invention that should be quite feasible with existing technology. I know what I want it to do, but I am not sure exactly how it works or what the best design/components could/should be. Therefore, I am looking for the LEAST EXPENSIVE way to get reasonable quality professional assistance with my preliminary design/components/functions, a provisional patent application and a 3-d computerized prototype for presentations to manufacturers.
My main question is if I should go to an engineer and nail down my preliminary design before going to a licensed patent agent/attorney or 3d modeler, or go directly to a patent professional or 3d modeler that is a degreed mechanical engineering for example. I am assuming an engineer might be less expensive for design assistance than an engineer who is also a patent agent/attorney or 3d modeler.TommyK11/28/2008 1:48 PM

Comments

• Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    dislosing the idea before filing a patent application can destroy patentability forever.  Hire a patent attorney first.
  • Options
    EricCorlEricCorl subscriber Posts: 0
    I would first recommend filing a provisional patent which will give you patent pending status. I would then recommend working with a prototyping company.
    For filing your provisional patent, LegalZoom.com is inexpensive and reliable.
    For your design and prototype I would recommend Vallmar. The owner is an engineer and can work with you hands on to design and prototype your invention. http://www.vallmar.com
    Good Luck!EricCorl12/12/2008 5:18 PM
  • Options
    EricaKEricaK subscriber Posts: 0
    Tommy, 
    you can check us out at www.slingshotpdg.com. We can help you develop your product from an engineering standpoint before or after you file for a provisional patent. We do put an NDA in place before speaking to people about their ideas, so you can be confident in working with us if you decide to work on your 3D before filing for a patent.