WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Custom made jewlery

zmlivingston1976zmlivingston1976 subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Selecting a Business
I will like to start a custom made jewelry business. I want to make very special jewelry for special occasions and holidays. Any good tips on how to get started?
Thanks!
ZML

Comments

• Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    if you come up with a design you don`t want copied, register it with USPTO.
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Definately start with a plan. You already stated a niche, that is good. Find your market and learn how to connect with them. Get a great portfolio, and get out there...... word of mouth works great. I would maybe get folks to start wearing some pieces. Do you have a wholesale account somewhere set up? Will you sell locally, online etc? Have you looked at shipping costs and shipping cartons? Will you design a logo or have it designed, will you brand yourself on the boxes, have a signature tag on each item? Business cards, maybe think about having a trunk show at local boutique. Will you be exclusive to a boutique or try to sell in a few local, or national? Will you make custom pieces? Will you build your own web site or have it built. You will need a liability policy. Will you be working under a different name? File ficticious name, open a bank account. What will be your organization? Will you work out of your home. Do you have a seperate space? A seperate customer service # ? Fax for orders, email account that is set to domain name?
    I think you should think about your brand. A logo, tagline. Set yourself apart from all those other jewlery makers. Will you advertise, visit networking groups etc? Do you need a merchant account for credit cards online or off? Paypal is free, for 20.00 a month with a business account you can use a virtual terminal and take on line, and offline orders by phone, fax etc..
    Get organized, Decide where you want to be in 5 years, 10. Then make the steps to get there.....and NEVER be afraid to ask for help. There is so much probably in your local community. Check out your local sba, economic development, bni etc.
    Good Luck!
    Erinstonesledge2007-7-12 7:2:33
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    wow.  that`s a lot of competition without even leaving home.  729 custom jewelry places that we know of at the click of a button.  does that even include QVC or HSN and the like?  how does somebody avoid the "me too" syndrome?