WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

when to register TM

patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
edited May 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
One question that comes up from time to time in my business is "when should I register my trademark?"  I am curious as to when people in this group think it makes sense to register a trademark.  My quick and dirty answer to this is to register [1] when you think the mark probably is contributing to your making money and/or [2] when you would be angry if you found somebody copying the mark to sell their goods/services.  Given that successful marks are almost always worth more than the cost to register them, why would somebody wait AT ALL to register a successful mark?

Comments

• Options
    I`d also would rather be protected and have spent some money than not be protected and spent none.  While this is "optional" in the sense that it does not legally have to be done, it seems foolish not to.  I don`t see how people can do otherwise and still sleep at night.
  • Options
  • Options
    wifsterwifster subscriber Posts: 1
    Those are all great points you guys are making.  My question is - how much does a trademark cost?  I don`t dispute the value of the trademark, but should I worry about it before I`ve even sold one unit of product?By the way James - I`m in your neck of the woods.  Well, sort-of.  I`m in Lorain.
  • Options
    Money decisions are almost always a matter of priorities.  I don`t personally know anybody on this list.  Yet I say, "You have the money to hire a lawyer."  You may think your trademark is not that important to the success of your business - and may be right, though I doubt that. 
    If your car suddenly burst into flames or one of your teeth suddenly shattered in your mouth, you would get the $2,000 if you had to - some way some how - because you think it is important enough to be able to drive and eat.  You have the money or access to it.  We all do.
  • Options
    SugarDollSugarDoll subscriber Posts: 0
    I tried to trademark my brand and boy did I loose money! I fall under #2 ( and would be very angry to see someone copying it) but I might be even more hot if the person who has a variation of the name I wanted never does anything with it.  At least now I know noone else can legally use it.