WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The Power of Words

DeniseMMDeniseMM subscriber Posts: 6
edited March 2007 in Marketing
As some of you know I teach some marketing teleclasses and on some of those classes we spend time tweaking copy - it`s fun and really revealing because often by the end of our 90 minutes together people say I had no idea that changing just one little word can make such a BIG difference. Since Journalism was one of my majors way back in college I learned to be something of a wordsmith. I love words and I find the meaning and origins of words fascinating - and they can make a huge impact on your marketing message.I`m a member of an online network that`s focused on virtual assistants (virtual admin) and one of the things I noticed is that a lot of the VAs use the word "partner" to describe the business relationship with their clients. I felt that wasn`t the best word to use.  I think they do that because they want to avoid being cast into a subservient secretarial role.  That`s what the four VAs I asked told me anyway.To me - when I hear the word "partner" I think of someone who shares in both the financial risks and financial rewards of a business and I wouldn`t be looking for that. They might say something akin to, "We partner with you."  Here`s another one, "We`re NOT just a virtual assistant...we`re YOUR business partner."  (I didn`t make these up - I got them from VAs.)  How do you feel about the word "partner" in that context? Am I crazy or what?What about other words have had a big impact for you in your business either positively or negatively?All the best,Denise Michaels, Author, "Testosterone-free Marketing"

Comments

• LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    Perhaps they`re using "partner" to further their professional standing. I can see the reasoning behind it. And I think it`s subtle.That said, I don`t necessarily want a "partner."
  • DeniseMMDeniseMM subscriber Posts: 6
    There are a whole slew of words that are known to be great words to use in marketing and selling.  Jay Conrad Levinson author of the best-selling "Guerilla Marketing" series of books for small business owners calls them "Magic Words - Tragic Words."  So "magic words" are the ones you`re supposed to use and "tragic words" are the ones you`re supposed to avoid - unless you`re mentioning the competition (and folks only mention competition in a generic way - never point fingers).  So Magic Words are ones like:
    Amazing, Breakthrough, Yes, Easy, Free, Secret, Discover, Love, Convenient, Proven Winner, Agree, Happy and others.
    Tragic Words are ones like:  Buy, Obligation, Contract, Death and others.
    I have a whole list of Magic Words and Tragic Words that I`ve gleaned from Levinson and other.  Maybe I should post them here...
    All the best,
    Denise Michaels, Author, "Testosterone-Free Marketing"
    Hi Lisal:
    See, I`m with you on this one.  I have a marketing mentoring client who`s a virtual assistant and we went over some of her copy that she has online in VA referral sites like AssistU.com and she had that word "partner" in there.  I`m glad you`re saying this because some of the other VAs were really defensive and possessive about considering a change to that word. 
    I told my client I think you increase your professionalism with your demeanor, the way your handle yourself, your website, having a professional looking picture, your rates - all those things.  I mean if you call yourself a "partner" and then you don`t have a half-decent site and in your picture you look like you`ve been dealing with three screaming kids all day - I REALLY don`t want to "partner" with someone who looks that unprofessional - and that might be a shame because she might have great skills.
    When I mentor a client I`m helping them with their marketing strategy and selling skills - but I sure as heck don`t see myself as a "partner." 
    I often look to create joint venture partnerships with people - in other words lets work on this project together - and then we`ll share the revenues that come out of it.  (It`s a little more complex than THAT - but that`s the gist of it.)  Even then it`s very clear that we`re only partners for this particular project or venture.
    All the best,
    Denise Michaels,   Author, "Testosterone-Free Marketing"
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I`d like the list sent to me - off line.
    Y`know James, I`d like to know if there`s anything you contribe that`s positive to these forums?
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    You said you had something to post.  I asked you to send it to me.  That is not positive because .......?  Somebody needs a vacation.