WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Naming My LLC

woodsy424woodsy424 subscriber Posts: 3
edited February 2007 in Business Planning
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I hope someone can help me out.  In registering my LLC in Connecticut, I want to call it Such and such LLC (for example) as far as the company name but have something different as the store name.  For example, it may be Joe`s Hardware Store to the customer, but the LLC might be Superdooper LLC.  Is it foolish to have a seperate name for the store and the LLC and am I setting myself up for trouble in the future, or does it make sense to work it out this way?  I only ask because in my previous experience working for a franchise, the franchise owner has a business name LLC operating said franchise of a different name.  In addition I often spot restaurant chains that operate under one name but are owned by different companies.  Am I getting in over my head here?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    What you`re describing is a DBA. An individual or corporate entity can
    do business using a fictitious name. It`s not foolish to do this. The
    question is what are you trying to accomplish?
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Whether you have one name or two, you should look into the trademark ramifications for the business name(s) you select.
  • woodsy424woodsy424 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help, but I fear I may still be a bit confused.  I have heard the term DBA (Doing business as, correct?) and I basically want to be sure that whatever I end up with, it is all protected legally and so forth.  Also, I want the LLC to act as a company that may someday operate a business seperate from the initial store I would like to run.  For example, let`s say I open a hardware store under one name and a shoe store under another, but both would be owned by the LLC.  Am I on the right path here?  And if so, would the store operating under the LLC name be protected in the same fashion of an LLC.  I want to file the appropriate forms with the State of Connecticut sometime in the near future, and I want to be sure it`s all done right the first time so I don`t find myself accidentally in violation of some tax law or something of that nature.  Forgive me for being overly cautious, but I really want to avoid any mistakes here.  Thank you for being patient with me.
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Sounds like it might be worth consulting an attorney to make sure you`re comfortable with the set-up.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    just to clarify, my point was about the possibility of having a designation [name, logo, etc] that is confusing to consumers - which is separate from the questions of business structure.
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    When you name a company, make sure people could guess what kind of services you are providing instinctively. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose.