WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Found an Investor/ Partner but now we need a contract -HELP!

elsizzle2000elsizzle2000 subscriber Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Business Planning
So the good news is I found an investor/ partner. The stressing news is we need to come up with a partnership contract. Neither of us have done contracts before & we have no idea what to put in them. I am looking for a trustworthy contract lawyer who can help us decide what to put in the contract & then draft it. One concern off the bat I have is that we decided that I would have 51% & he would have %49. I made this decision because I decided that he should have an equal part of the profits because he will be an active participant & will bring a lot of to the table. I kept the 1% for myself so I would have the controlling interest. Meaning when it came to decision making I would have the final say. This seems fair to me. He said that he doesn`t want me to have the last say. He wants us to be equal in the decision making. Well this doesn`t make sense to me. I feel like we will be going in circles. Also the business is solely my idea. He brought a few ideas to the table when he became invlolved but nothing that I would not have come up with in due time & nothing that really changes the core of the business. Although he is putting up all the money for it. I would say from $25-$50K. Should I expect to have 51% given the situation? Doesn`t eh person with the larger percentage holder have final say or controlling interest? How does this usually work? What should I do?
elsizzle20002007-2-12 20:3:36

Comments