WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

To Partner or Not to Partner?

celebnowcelebnow subscriber Posts: 4
What is the general consent? Should you partner with another company when the workload gets to big to bear?
Or is the headache potential too great?

Comments

• adampurcelladampurcell subscriber Posts: 0
    It`s a big question..... I found I needed a partner with some of my projects,
    but I sort an individual I already had relationship with. Already having trust,
    as well as knowing the strengths and weaknesses took a lot of the risk out
    of it.
  • PatP3005PatP3005 subscriber Posts: 2
    My husband is a cabinetmaker. Two man shop. It is a very small community (the cabinetmaker community, not the community where we live), so they all know each other. One of my husband`s best friends also has a cabinet shop. They go back and forth all the time on jobs. If one is snowed under, the other might make the doors for a job. They treat it as a sale. If my husband makes doors for his friend`s job, his friend pays him for the doors, end of "partnership." Then, if need be, they`ll do it again.
    But as Adam said, it`s someone he already knows and has a lot of trust in. As an accountant, I`ve seen too many partnerships go south. It has to be handled very businesslike, no verbal agreements. I have a lot more horror stories than successes, but the successes are really great.