WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Bookstore / Sideline Start-Up Inventory

maeintexasmaeintexas subscriber Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Business Planning
I`m perplexed when it comes to start-up inventory. I`m opening a kids/teens bookstore. I know I need frontlist, midlist, and backlist books. What percentage of each? How much to start? How much should I put into sidelines? How do I make this determinination?

Another question: Where do I find out reasonable average figures for expected sales? I know the industry average is 1.5-5 net margin. How do I determine my start-up inventory and how that effects an average net margin? This is the tough part...

Comments

• Options
    StartUpSmartStartUpSmart subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi,

You need to go to a direct source for this type of specific information. By that I mean you should be connecting with other store owners. I would pick up the phone and start making calls to other bookstore owners...perhaps the ones not in your immediate target area. You will be amazed at how helpful people are!

Good luck!
  • Options
    infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You might want to really work at a bookstore first as you don't want to speculate with real investments and inventory.