WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

E-Learning Software

NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
Does anyone know what programs/software options are available to conduct e-learning dialogs?  (I already have some information on Blackboard, Web CT, and Ctools.)  
Any suggestions of other programs would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• ArimelArimel subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Nicole. I have some questions for you first.
    1- do you really mean eLearning rather than lecturing and showing via online meetings? do you need testing capabilities for instance?
    2-do you want to create the content yourself, setting up new lesson plans, etc. or are you looking for a company and tool that would do that for you?
    Christine
  • NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    I am wanting to find low cost and effective ways to set up a study circle.  Therefore I am looking for software options which have the capaibility to email a listserv; to send private emails between peer to peer and peer to moderator; the posting of URL links; the ability to upload documents; and the ability to have both "live chats" and posted threaded discussions; and the ability to have an event schedule/calendar.  I won`t have any need for testing capabilities because the study circle is a forum to not only study a specific issue but to engage in a dialog on the issue.
    Regarding the content, there will be a specific curriculum.  Ideally there will be websites and/or articles to read and a question posed to get the dialog of study started.  Then a moderator will faciliate a free flowing discussion.  It is not a teaching tool but rather a method to think outside the box and to listen to varing voices on a specific issue.
    Right now I am seeking options and comparisons on costs, and functions of each software program which are similiar to Ctools, Blackboard and Web CT.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • DesignCaddyDesignCaddy subscriber Posts: 3
    From your post, it sounds like you are trying to create a learning community (RSS, e-mail, maintain a level of security).  You might consider running Microsoft`s Community Server software.    The ASP.NET Community Server Kit is Web application that makes it easy for you to build a user forum, blog, or photo gallery on your Web site.  You can manage it from a web based administration console.
    Here are some links for more information about Community Server to get a feel about weather or not it is right for you:
    Administration Instructions:
    If this is indeed what you are trying to do, please consider DesignCaddy.Net as a potential hosting provider.  We offer the ASP.NET Community Server Kit free with our Windows shared hosting accounts.
    If you do decide to proceed with Community Server, here are the instructions for loading it:
    To Set Up the ASP.NET Community Server on Your Web Site

Under the Hosting & Email section, select Hosting Account List.
    Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
    Under the Content section of the Hosting Manager, click the Value Application icon. The Application Manager displays.
    Read through the dislaimer and click Accept on the Value Application Disclamer page.
    Click Install next to Community Server.
    Enter your information in the required fields.
    Click Install.
    Thanks and Good Luck!!!!
    Mike

• NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Thanks!  I will check out both suggestions.