WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Who should I target my sales pitch to?

PsytransciencePsytranscience subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Sales
I am trying to market a service (in a consultant capacity) to my former employer.  Although I worked for the company for over 12 years, I was non management and had very few contacts in mid or upper management.  This is a huge company with many layers of management and they have gone through many mergers resulting in many "shifts" in personnel.  Although I have the CEO`s email address and physical address, I am not sure if it would be appropriate to contact him.   The CEO is a lawyer and I did work with the legal department from time to time so I don`t know if that would be of value as an icebreaker of introduction..  
I truly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks!

Comments

• adamcadamc subscriber Posts: 11
    You need to find the person who makes the decisions you are selling. (this should be easy for you to do because you worked for the company)

If you are looking to perfect the pitch or make yourself better at sales I suggest you pick up The Sales Bible by Jeffery Gitometer (five bucks on half.com) its extremely easy to read and it helped me.
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    I agree with Craig - you have to begin to see yourself as the CEO and be sure to project that in all of your business introductions - a confident approach not arrogant but one that asserts that you are credible and that you are knowledgeable in the field that you represent. As a consultant, the HR (Human Resources) may be able to assist you in which direction you should take.
    Here`s to a successful outcome with many more to follow!
  • PsytransciencePsytranscience subscriber Posts: 1
     I appreciate the feedback so far- thanks!  I am sure is a stringent approval process and evaluations of prospective consultants may be reviewed by one group and if it satisfies their criteria, then I`m sure it gets handed to a team for financial approval.  I may also mention that I do have a very good relationship with my former HR manager (low level) and maybe I should exploit that before attempting another strategy.
    Thanks again and I appreciate your suggestions!