WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hello,Hello

adamcadamc subscriber Posts: 11
edited August 2008 in Business Planning
Hi all my name is Adam Czub, I live in a small northern Wisconsin town called Spooner we have about 2500 people living here.
I am 18 years old and will be a high school senior this fall and my entrepreneurial spirit is HUGE sadly all I can seem to produce is ideas and never execute due to lack of money,demand,sometimes even skill.
Trying to find something to be profitable in this town is SO hard. Or maybe its not suggestions?
Thanks guys

Comments

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    adam,

maybe you shouldn`t focus on your small town to drive your business opportunity. any ideas have to do with the web? you can jump the edge of town and cater to EVERY town using the net.

thoughts?
  • adamcadamc subscriber Posts: 11
    You know I have an idea sheet everytime I have an idea I write it down even its good,taken,or bad I still write it down and some times I get web ideas but I just cant think of anything Web 2.0 ish or E-commerce to make it happen.
    My greatest success has been being a finalist in Inc/Fast Company`s great idea contest
    (which I didnt win)
    http://www.inc.com/greatidea/
    Its so hard in a town that has really no spirit a lot of people here are content with being average.
    I also told myself I would have a start to something by October 31st but I dont think that will happenadamc7/30/2008 7:25 PM
    if your local town is not a good market, here are your options:

move (unlikely, being that you are living at home still?)
    find a web-based business opportunity that enables you to cater to better markets
    postpone your plans until a later time in life.

i hate option 3. option 1 sounds too complicated (making a lot of assumptions).

i say, WORK ON OPTION 2!!!

Ya there is NO WAY I would ever stop thinking and pursing my dreams moving isnt likely at all.Web based is an idea I have small amount of money saved just a few thousand which is nearly enough to do something little and grow but the problem with the internet world is that its hard to break and I wouldn`t have a clue where to startCheers!
    let`s explore...

what are you passionate about? don`t worry about the money initially. just jot down some passions. break it down for me...
    Well I love talking to people and I am ok with computers I like video games to but as far as a passion boy some people its football for me its making a deal. I work at a local Radioshack Franchise and after I close a Directv or ATT deal I just feel fricken great!I don`t know how those can be spun off into anything but good luck.
    aside from sales, which is a great thing to have a passion for and will be instrumental in your future success, what else more specifically do you like? cool technology?
    Ya I like technology and video games mainly I am not really into out doorsy stuff like land scaping kind of things
    how do you find out about the coolest, latest, greatest video games?

fyi, i can`t imagine a hotter area of opportunity than gaming. it`s a MASSIVE and growing market area...
    Where do I find the content about games?
    Gamespot.com
    Gamestop.com
    IGN.com
    EGM.com
    1up.com
    kotaku.com
    the list is endless
    Gaming is cool but theres not much you can do unless you know how to write games
    One thing I wanted to do is figure out how to get product placement into gamesadamc7/30/2008 8:08 PM
    is there any opportunity you can think of that you think is being underserved relating to gaming enthusiasts? what are these sites NOT doing that they could be?

No not really they do a great job at everything as far as content delivery goes and interactivity
    if you don`t see anything missing at all, nothing needs to be fixed, then move on. what else are you passionate about?
    The only thing I could possibly needing to get fixed is the way Gamestop operates first you buy a new game for 60 bucks a serious gamer will usually beat the average game in 1-3 days then they take it back and trade it in for about 30-35 dollars a month later that price could drop to 15-25 dollars then the person looses quite a bit of money because they sell a game that they pay 30-35 for for 55 so essentially they make the original sixty then another 20 people get the shaft when trading.
    Other then that I like technology and good good food and learning.
    why don`t you gather some recipes from family friends that you can test out commercially in your town and see what`s popular and then start selling your food products online? just think crazy out of the box to try to get some interesting ideas up on the board.

you could crowd-source the business. read this article. you could use the StartupNation forums as a communication tool...