WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Software for writing business plans

RocketScientistRocketScientist subscriber Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2008 in Business Planning
Has anyone used software like Business Plan Pro to write a business plan? Are these type of software useful and worth purchasing?

RocketScientist4/21/2008 2:46 AM

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    We have referred many clients to that software and they all seem to make great use of the step by step functions and graphs etc... It is also very affordable. You still have to do background research on your own to fill in those areas of need.

Erin
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I prefer BizPlanBuilder from JIAN software [ www.jian.com</A> ] because it uses Word and Excel and it has a collaboration feature so we can work together with our clients on the plan. robertj2008-4-21 11:37:7
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I`ve always been a big believer in a solid business plan book rather than software, myself!
    Good luck!
  • zensufizensufi subscriber Posts: 0
    Have not tried any software, but got bits and pieces from different books.  However, the most useful biz plan I found was a template online written by a college professor.  Will have to dig up the link.  I took it and plugged in biz plan info for two different companies and it turned out great.

-m-
  • RocketScientistRocketScientist subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    interested in seeing that template if you can find it

I would be interested in seeing it myself.
    RocketScientist4/25/2008 2:34 AM
  • ConsultnowConsultnow subscriber Posts: 1
    Be careful of BP software, if you are presenting to a bank or you are just trying to get your model down, then I would recommend Business Plan Pro.  However, if you are in a emerging industry and are looking to acquire capital investors then you really should look at getting a plan drawn up by a professional consultant/accountant/advisor.

The problem with the software is that they are very regimented thereby they don`t provide the necessary analysis to sway a capital investor one way or the other.

The blog at www.developmentstyles.com provides some good information on those that are trying to raise capital from private debtholders or equity investors.

• ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
    Yuck!  Business planning software is a waste of time and money. If you are writing the plan to guide your business... there is a much easier and more effective way, and can be done literally on 3 sheets. 

If you are using the software to pitch banks or VCs, they are generally to generic to help much... but may be worth the guidance in those circumstances.

Business plans are generally written to be "pessimistic", but inevitably are completely unrealistic and end up collecting dust. I would skip it.
  • ChrisBenjaminChrisBenjamin subscriber Posts: 13
    Not a fan of software myself... most people seem to go with "fill in the blank" and the end result just screams software driven.  If you smooth out the edges it can be alright, or if the business plan is just for your own purposes, great.  But if it`s for investors, especially larger scale, not the best route. 
    Alternative is to do it using software to get most if it on paper, then have a pro review it with you and do the edge smoothing.
    As for templates, check out Score.org for one.
  • LolaCLolaC subscriber Posts: 0
    Actually, if you`re still looking, I used a book and software created by my graduate school professor. I found it very helpful. The book`s around $25 and the software/template is $75 I think. It helps you through the financial projections and all. Here`s the link to the website if you`re interested: www.bankablebusinessplans.com
    good luck
  • movingsoftwaremovingsoftware subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Softwares are of many great advantages, especially for business use. With the help of softwares not only one can write business plans, but can manage their accounting as well.
  • yourekiddingrightyourekiddingright subscriber Posts: 0
    What also helps with business plans is an idea that actually might work.