WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Sales!

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited September 2007 in Marketing
I`m sure you`ve heard the expression,  A picture is worth a thousand words!" Well, that`s true. But I also believe A picture can be worth a thousand sales! Let me explain.
I`ve noticed that a lot of members here don`t have their picture in their profiles, or on their website or blog. I think that`s a mistake. Associating your face with your business has long been proven to be extremely effective. That`s why whenever you see infomercials on television, they`re not only selling the product or service, they`re also selling the person behind the product or service as well.
Look at the television commercials of your local car dealerships. They put their faces front and center, because they understand that people buy from people they know and trust. And when people can see your face,  they feel like they know you and that they can trust you. More trust equals more sales. It`s simple math. It`s also all about human psychology.
Can you imagine how uncomfortable you would feel, if your next door neighbors wore masks all the time, and you couldn`t see their faces? Wouldn`t that freak you out? Would you trust them? Of course, you wouldn`t.
Well, the same premise applies in marketing. You`ll be much  more successful, if people trust you. If you don`t have your picture on your website and/or marketing materials, it may be costing you sales. Just something to think about!
Dale KingDKing2007-9-10 8:34:45

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Dale,
    I think everyone likes to put a face to a name. It helps them to connect to that person. How do ya like my mug?
    :)
    Erin
  • miabellacandlesmiabellacandles subscriber Posts: 3
    Dale,
    You made a very logical argument...and I followed your excellent advice.
    Sheri

• ImagingBuffetImagingBuffet subscriber Posts: 0
    I totally agree as well Dale. And I was also wondering where Joel`s smiling face went!I like when I see faces on people`s blogs (even drawn representations). Less interesting to me is when people put their photo up of them at 3 years old. It`s cute, I`ll admit, but something from the last decade or so is better in my opinion.I`ve got mine up on my site at www.imagingbuffet.com.All the best,Andrew
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

Dale,
    I think everyone likes to put a face to a name. It helps them to connect to that person. How do ya like my mug?
    :)
    Erin

Erin, regarding your mug, personally, I like your picture.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-11 8:4:32
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I am in complete agreement with You Dale.I look for photos of humans almost first thing when I visit a new website. Especially if it`s a small business.

good one Joel
    ~Roland
    Thanks Dale!!

:) Depending on my haorcolor, i change it from time to time! I like yours too! I love Janies too, very pink and pretty!
  • JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    I look for photos of humans almost first thing when I visit a new website. Especially if it`s a small business.
    Hey Joel,
    For my own website, about 2 weeks ago, I actually posted up a picture of myself on the home page as well - even though I had a picture of myself on another page.  And I actually received a bit more orders recently. But I`m not sure if my picture was the main reason for it though.  
    But I`d like to find out why you look for photos of humans almost first thing.  If you don`t see one, does that make you want to leave the site?  And why especially for small businesses?  I`m just curious.
    Thanks!
    Jeannie Lit

I actually posted up a picture of myself on the home page as well - even though I had a picture of myself on another page.  And I actually received a bit more orders recently. But I`m not sure if my picture was the main reason for it though.  
    That`s not a fluke. I`ve done my own tests regarding this topic, and I can assure you, having your picture on your website does indeed create more sales. It has for me.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-11 19:36:24
    Thanks Dale!! Depending on my haorcolor, i change it from time to time! I like yours too!
    Thanks! So Erin, what haircolor do you like best?
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-11 19:36:54
  • texashomestagertexashomestager subscriber Posts: 2
    Dale, you are so correct!! While at our trade show this past Sunday, I had several people who had looked at our website prior to coming who said "Hey, I know you!" It was a great feeling, being remembered and recognized.  It seemed to put them instantly at ease.  Photos DO sell!
    Nancy
    Dale,
    It depends...I like light in the summer, brunette in the colder months. I am naturally a drak brunette so it is easier but the Blonde is so fun! Thanks for asking!!
    Hi Dale,
    Thanks for you reply. I really appreciate it!
    Hi Joel,
    Thanks for answering to my curiosity! I also appreciate your great suggestions!
    But when you say, "I`d love to see your photo on the homepage linked to a page that tells your personal story as an entrepreneur ...

How did you come up with the idea for SmudgeGuard?
    What motivated you to invent the product?
    Throw in a little personal stuff about your life or lifestyle."
    ...I actually have a page called "SmudgeGuard Story" that tells the story of how I came up with the idea of SmudgeGuard and what motivated me to invent the product. Do you think I still need to create a link to that page even though it is shown in the navigation menu on the left side of my site?  Just curious, again.
    As for the last part of your suggestion, "Throw in a little personal stuff about your life or lifestyle." - I will definitely do that. Anything that will make my potential customers more comfortable, I`ll do.  Again, thanks for the great suggestions! 
    JeannieJeannie2007-9-11 18:13:55
    Hi Dale,
    Thanks for you reply. I really appreciate it!
    Jeannie

You`re quite welcome, Jeannie!
    Dale King
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the heads up! I will check to see if my website is okay.
    As for the link to be included in my pic, Hmm...I wouldn`t know how to do that. I need to find out.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Jeannie
    Steve,
    I just checked my website just now, and everything seems to be okay.  Hmm...I wonder what happened?
    Anyways, thanks again for letting me know.
    Jeannie