WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Please critique my website

acalacal subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in Website Critique
Hello,
My name is Anthony, and I am the creator of the PODillow. I have been spent the last year developing, and finally getting to market my product.  I will have my official product launch in two weeks at a local county fair.  I have already received verbal agreements to sell my pillow in several local surf shops, and tanning salons. (good thing I live in San Diego)  Hopefully my website will assist me in reaching a larger geographical area.  My website was created by a friend, and I think it looks, and fuctions pretty well, but what do I know?
Please take a minute to review my site and let me know, don`t worry I have extremely thick skin, so let it fly.
podillow.com
Thanks,
Anthony
 acal2007-6-6 1:19:1

Comments

• ScottyScotty subscriber Posts: 1
    Anthony,
    Well thought out and very functional.

I did notice that there are 3 links on the lower left of the page that lead to
    pages without content. (Tanning, SPA and beach). Even if these pages are
    not ready for product, you may want to put something there. Maybe even
    a contact form to let interested people know when those products are
    available. In other words, don`t miss an opportunity.

Also, your product looks like a fun product. A website I like to visit from
    time to time is thinkgeek.com; they have a feature called "Action Shots"
    showing people using the products they buy from them. A link
    encouraging buyers to send in there Action Shot of your product could be
    an idea.

Lastly, since you already have a few surf shops selling your product, why
    not list them on your site? A local person not willing to wait for a
    shipment might stop at a local shop and make a purchase. I`m sure the
    shop owners would also appreciate the co-op advertising.

Scott
  • acalacal subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks to both of you for taking the time.  Scotty, I noticed the same thing about those 3 links, my web designer told me they needed to be there for the search engines.  Its over my head, but I like your suggestion to have them take the consumer some where.
  • ScottyScotty subscriber Posts: 1
    ...just for SEO, make them not visible or something.
    Or just put those words in the text somewhere.

I think search engines view invisble text/links as deceptive, and would
    penalize a site for having them. Using them in the text of the site would
    be better.

Scott Scotty2007-5-29 5:25:4
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

Thanks to both of you for taking the time.  Scotty, I noticed the same thing about those 3 links, my web designer told me they needed to be there for the search engines.  Its over my head, but I like your suggestion to have them take the consumer some where.

The links do need to have content on the pages. Hopefully, that will happen soon. It is not a good idea to have empty pages (confuses the viewer) and invisible links are a no no. Yyou might get away with it, but it`s not worth the risk of being penalized for search engines - especially for an ecommerce site.
    ~Roland
  • acalacal subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks again to all of you for taking time to help me out.  I really appreciate it.  I will get with my web designer tomorrow to address these issues.