WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Where's The Money in Electronics?

EirheadEirhead subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Selecting a Business
My brother-in-law started a business a couple years ago as an Appliance Repair Man. He is doing very well for himself right now in a small town. This got me thinking, maybe I should start my own business too.

My skills and expertise are in many ways similar, and in some ways superior to my brother in law. My current job is as a broadcast technician. I can diagnose and repair circuit boards, I engineer simple circuits as needed. I can configure cisco equipment. I'm an expert with radio frequency. I can repair diesel generators. Overall, I'm a pretty good jack of all trades with expertise in electronics, rf and computers.

Some ideas I've had for starting a business include:
- FM Radio consultant / one-stop-shop for setting up a station
- Home/Office automation... perhaps designing my own bleeding-edge offerings

Now personally, I don't really enjoy working with computers. I can do it, I'm good at it, but I don't enjoy it. So the "IT" field is preferably avoided. I would like to offer a superior product in whatever field I go with. I guess my main question is, "What else is out there? What am I missing? Where's the money at?" If anybody else has some other good ideas about what I could do with my expertise, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks =)