WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What makes a good logo?

adi004adi004 subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Marketing
Hi everyone! I just need some ideas/opinions on things to consider when creating a logo for a business, are there strategies in making one? Thanks!

Comments

• adi004adi004 subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi, well the business logo would be for a good friend of mine, she'll be starting a small business in my hometown so she was asking me for some ideas, though I already gave her some but I thought it would still be better to ask other people so she can do it the right way and come up with the best. I agree that logo is like an abbreviation  to her business, so i suggested she keep it simple.  I get the idea of wht you're saying about the experience when they learn about the company, thank you, it was very well said... she's into bread business, and she'll be using the logo on her social media pages and business cards, her main concern was how can she make her logo different from others with the same type of business. Hope you can share more ideas. Thank you!

• GladysGladys subscriber Posts: 0
    For me, a good logo should be associated with the product or service that you offer. There should be a connection so people can remember your brand easily. Also, a good logo is plus if you put it along on your souvenir or promotional items like tote bags.
  • Richer44Richer44 subscriber Posts: 0
    This is a great question. 

I agree with the comments above that state that a logo needs to reflect who you are as a business (it needs to line up with your values and mission). I also take into consideration the target audience that you are reaching out to when designing a logo. If your target market is 20 year old, beer drinking guys then having a pink, feminine logo is not going to resonate well with them.

For your friend that is in the bread business - she definitely needs to differentiate herself and her logo can help with that but I doubt a customer will choose her over her competitors strictly because of the logo. With that said, if she wants to stand out from the competition then she needs to create a high quality, custom logo that represents who she (and her business) is while resonating with her target market. 

The user above mentioned the experience, which is also very important. Basically, everything needs to line up in order to build trust. You mentioned, your friend is using social media - well, if she comes across as a laid back, care-free person on Facebook but then the customers meet her and she is stiff and aggressive then this sends mixed signals to the customer and as a result, they will not trust the her, the business or the product. 
    I know this is a little bit of a tangent but it also works with the brand - A business brand is everything from how you treat your customers, your employees, to the design of your business card and of course your logo. Again, all of these need to be in line with one another in order to build trust with your customer base. Perhaps, this isn't the most concise answer to your question and I would have loved to say that your friend needs to have a clean, flat, vector based logo with a unicorn on it but a logo is so personal that we would need to know more about the business and the owner to develop a high quality logo that fits her brand. If you ever have any questions about branding or marketing, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Best of luck!
    Nathan 
  • KimpreneurKimpreneur subscriber Posts: 0
    Brand identity is a crucial part of your business. Communicating the wrong visual message in your brand puts you at risk of confusing and losing potential clients.

Your business has a personality and vision that deserves to be represented properly. There are endless examples that show how good design looks and works better when it's telling a story, and your logo needs to do a great job of telling that story.

If I were you, I would leave logo design up to a professional- it's not as easy as it looks! If you're looking for a reasonable price, check out mosaicHUB's Marketplace. There's a deal on logo design right now: http://www.mosaichub.com/marketplace/view/design-brand-jumpstart-package

Hope this is helpful!Kim 
  • raptorpowerraptorpower subscriber Posts: 4
    I think you need expart logo designer . Which help you so much...
  • AberitAberit subscriber Posts: 64 Bronze Level Member
    I would consider a logo in warm colours, which can be associated with security and home (something we can asocciate bread with). Obviously, not always. If the design of stores, the website and all other advertising materials are prepared in different colours, it should stick to it.
  • TCIFTCIF subscriber Posts: 0
    I like the idea of my logo telling people what I do. Maybe it could include your moto as well. Like this 
    Jerry's Bakery
    Smell the Fresh Bread
    And bread sticking out at the end (or beginning).  
    Every part of your business should help you sell more. 
  • BriGuyBriGuy subscriber Posts: 1
    I think a major element of any logo has to be the ability to size up or down without losing recognition. With our growing reliance on mobile, that overly complicated logo won't impress potential customers at a smaller size.
  • Rick48CMRick48CM subscriber Posts: 2
    Hello adi004!While there’s a lot of good advice here, I would like to add that you should consider the style of the logo. It’s been mentioned about what impression you want to make with your logo, and the style can address that right away for any potential customers.If your friend wants an upscale look to their bakery, consider a very simple icon and san-serif font for the logo, limit it to two colors. If they’re wanting something more local and friendly, use a font that looks like handwriting and an abstract illustration of bread or a baker’s hat. A style that has been recently re-invented in logo design is Retro, it can give a sense of history or hipster-cred, depending on how you go with that. That being said, the style of a logo will automatically do a lot of work creating an impression for potential customers. If you don’t have any designers to work with locally there are options for connecting with professionals online. I could talk about logos all day, but I hope something here was helpful! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • DesigncontestcomDesigncontestcom subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Logos are often the core of a brand, telling customers about your personality and making an impression so they remember you. Above all it should be a visual representation of your company and your brand, a way to show what you do and what you can offer to customers in one simple graphic.There are few ways of creating efficient business logo:

1) If you are a designer, so you are lucky and can create a logo by yourself

2) Crowdsourcing your logo. This is a way of getting work done by outsourcing it to a crowd of people. The vast array of talent and people online make it easy to find the right people to help with whatever project you have. This method has become a popular way to get a lot of freelance work done, including logo design. Today there are sites like https://www.designcontest.com/logo-design/ that aggregate designers in one place and allow you to send your project to all of them at the same time, through a simple user interface.

3) Free logo design. The web is filled with tools that you can use to design logos, and most are simple editors that allow you to create some basic shapes and add your company name and tagline on top. Some of the most popular include web and logo design companies like Wix, Logo Garden, Flaming Text, Zillion Designs, Tweak and Graphic Springs.While they are often easy to use, even for someone without graphic design experience, these tools limit the kind of logo you can get to a set of pre-determined graphic elements and fonts.

4) Working with a single design or design agency. You can always try to hire a single designer or a design agency; however, there are some drawbacks to this option. Design agencies or individual designers are often more expensive and may charge by the hour for the work they do, rather than a flat fee for a single logo design. When you get several different logo options from the same designer or agency, they often have the same theme or feel with only slight variations.

The right choice depends only on you personal preferences and business plans.
  • ZoeyZoey subscriber Posts: 0
    To give this task to professional designer is not a bad idea.

The logo has to be simple but stylized, to reflect your business and to be recognizable. My advise is to see your competitors logos and come up with more friendly logo than them. That`s how the costumers will be attracted. The frienly logo is just a comparative advantage.
  • HanjeHanje subscriber Posts: 0
    I think a good logo symbolize professionalism. The great logos are good at recoqnization
  • BeckyCainBeckyCain subscriber Posts: 0
    And they are simple, can be used in both color and b/w mode and better not symbolize negative attitude
  • AnnJensenAnnJensen subscriber Posts: 2
    A good logo tells some kind of story to you, just by you looking at it - something that resembles the company and its identity.
  • AstinXNAstinXN subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    One thing that's very important: for most small businesses, you'll want to have the company name as part of the logo. Otherwise, people will have no idea who you are.

Exceptions: established brands, apps. Otherwise, you want people to see your company name also.