WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Business deal advice, partners, etc.

ptrrrptrrr subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Business Planning
Hi!
I'm new to the forum, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong subfora.

I'm running a one-man-show and I was wondering, how do you get feedback on possible business deals and partnerships when you're just one guy? I don't have a co-founder or really anyone to discuss those kinds of things with, so I'm mostly just in my own brain and would like other's perspective (preferably those with more experience) on different issues.

Something I've been wondering about lately is this:

Background:
My company (myself) is developing a web service that another company will be marketing and selling, they had the idea and I'm the "muscles" of the operation. If the service would become a company, I'd be the CTO and one from the other company would be the CEO. Compensation through equity.

Issue:
For marketing, they'll probably want to brand the service with their own name to avoid confusion. But the product is owned and developed by my company. How would you solve that? If they gave me a higher share for branding rights (and that would probably have to mean copyright notices as well), it would essentially mean that they'll own the whole product, right? I'd lose my bargaining chip. I think the best solution would be one where my company retains ownership.

I appreciate any feedback!