WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to dress for meetings with investors?

gulubhaigulubhai subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Startup Funding
Saw this article in Forbes today: http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2013/12/13/top-fashion-mistakes-tech-entrepreneurs-make-and-how-to-avoid-them/

What do you guys think?  I've always had the idea that I should dress casually to show that I care more about my intelligence and product than my outward appearance.  It seems that it's the counterculture to dress casually to show that you're unique, that you operate on a different wavelength, that you're innovative, etc.

But -- is there value in dressing up for meetings with investors?  I'm young, and I don't want them to think I take myself too seriously.  

Thoughts?

Comments

• KarlKarl subscriber Posts: 0

Over the last decade, I have met with many entrepreneurs and frankly, I have never paid too much attention to how they dressed. There really isn't any dress code anymore for as long as you dress casually and your look is well put together. Chinos and jeans in combination with a nice dress shirt or polo (please iron) are definitely ok these days. I wouldn't recommend wearing sneakers, let alone flip flops, a hoodie, or any ripped (AF-style) clothes. Get a nice hair cut, shave, and shower and be prepared!

Investors know that you can give a bright guy a fashion makeover in a matter of hours, but getting a well-dressed fool to come up with some smart answers, is next to impossible. 

I hope this helps.

Karl
  • imraneimrane subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with you but not fully, sometime you must keep in mind well dressing and fashion, I also like simplicity but according to the suituation, we must take change ourself... But one thing i also want to add that everyone have own choices and every company have own rules.  Thanks for sharing.............___________________________________________________
    Bulk Buy Towels UK | Bed Linen