WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Take This Thought

YoThisBAlecYoThisBAlec subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Website Critique
Hey mates, just joined SuN not too long ago and I`m really liking the community here.  I`d would really appreciate it if I could get some feed back on my latest project:  Take This Thought  Take This Thought is based heavily on the model of Digg and it is a community for sharing one`s thoughts and ideas, no matter how eccentric or mundane.  It uses a Digg-style voting system to keep the front page from being cluttered with every thought.  Thoughts are bumped to the front page as soon as another user votes on it.It`s still a young community as can be seen, but I plan on reading the forums here a lot for ideas on how to advertise and just get the word out there.There are a few site features I have in the works and I had them up for a little bit but things weren`t working completely correctly so I took them out of the production site.  Things such as image upload and flashy lightbox effects for images.The graphics in the design are made by myself, I decided to go with a simple and fresh look with a calm undertone.Thanks for your time and I`m looking forward to your Thoughts Take This Thought
YoThisBAlec2007-4-21 6:16:25

Comments

• Cindrla24Cindrla24 subscriber Posts: 1
    I checked it out but I didn`t think it was clear what I was supposed to do once I got there. 
  • YoThisBAlecYoThisBAlec subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the feedback guys.  I was doing some latenight editting last night and thus didn`t fully check through my site.  What was working fine in Firefox, well... in IE7 90% of the page was commented out.    This happened from me taking out some of the unneeded code.  So if you checked it with IE7, pretty please give it another chance?    It`s working now I swear.Also, yes, the system is based on Digg, but it is in no way a competitor with Digg as a lot of other `local` Digg-clones.  Digg is for sharing entertaining links and sometimes actual news.  This is people sharing their thoughts.  It`s not the links that`s the main content, it`s the users themselves.So any advice on what I should do with the design?  What was non-appealing about it?  Is it the blue-ness of it?  The minimalism?Looking forward to hearing more.  Thanks for pointing out the oddities nhgnikole.
  • YoThisBAlecYoThisBAlec subscriber Posts: 1
    And I too don`t get why some entries are indented and others are not.
    Hmm, that`s odd.  Is this showing up in IE6?  I only have IE7 so I haven`t checked the site in IE6 recently.If you`re talking about the comments under the Thoughts though, that`s because it`s a threaded comment system, so you can reply directly under a first level comment so even if there are others who have replied before you, you can hop up above them and reply to the relevant comment.If it`s the stories themselves that are indented, do you mean on the front pages?  If it`s the summaries then I really need to pour through the code to find the cause.Also, thanks for the feedback about the design and the layout    I`ll see what I can come up with to improve the points you made.