WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Patent advice

wolfgangwolfgang subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2006 in Protecting Your Ideas
Ok so I have a few ideas.  Can anybody reccomend the steps I should take next? I have read conflicting thoughts on Patent Inventors,Brokers,and attorneys,can I file for a patent successfully? Would it be crazy to put it on the web first before I do anything?  and how long does it take before I at least get a patent pending? Thanks,Dawn

Comments

• Options
    Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    There`s no single right answer for such a general question, except one that`s always applicable: never pay any upfront against a promise of marketing your idea to so called manufacturers.  What to be done depends on how deep your pocket is, how smart you are, how much of a breakthru the idea is, etc...Ideas are dime a dozen.  I can personally say I may currently have about 10-20, some were already prototyped, many patents issued.  One should focus on only one with the highest potential.  Sure, during slack time (waiting for new spin of prototype for invention #1) I work on a fun stuff that can possibly make money, see T-RexElec
  • Options
    onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
    Here is a link from the State of Illinois website on Patents, TM`s and Copyright. http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... ary/what_w e_have/patents_and_trademarks/home.html
    onlineeater2006-12-18 14:30:16
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    the patent is "pending" once the application is filed.  I suggest people hire me when they get to the point that they would be angry and lose money if their competitors started to copy their idea that is new and useful.