WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing VS Advertising

TheWarriorSageTheWarriorSage subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Marketing
Hello everyone,
As I look over posts in different forums... not only on this site, but also on others I belong to, I see people use the words "Marketing" and "Advertising" as though they mean one and the same thing.
My question is... How do you define them?
I have been taught that they are two very different and distinct aspects of business.  Advertising is a part of your Marketing, but Marketing as I have been taught, encompasses a whole lot more.
Marketing is not only your "Copy" and "Ads", but your philosophy on business.  It includes strategies for acquiring new customers, increasing the per client purchase, nurturing the relationship with the client to inspire recurring business, referral systems, testing all aspects of your business to increase exposure and pofitability, recognizing attrition and looking for ways to recover those clients... and the list can go on.
Just looking to engage in some discussion about the topic, and possibly exchange some "Marketing" ideas.
Willard

Comments

• TheWarriorSageTheWarriorSage subscriber Posts: 1
    I would definitely agree.  That would lead to the next question.  What do people feel are some of the most important things to include in a Marketing plan?
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Marketing encompasses your overall strategy for creating the market for your product or service and securing new customers. Advertising is simply a tactic which falls under the umbrella of marketing.
  • TheWarriorSageTheWarriorSage subscriber Posts: 1
    I think that is a great way to put it Check.  Marketing = Strategy and Advertising is a tactic within that strategy.
    I have been taking several "Marketing" courses recently to better prepare myself for the launch of a new product and business, and have been studying a lot of Jay Abraham material.  Coming from a speaking/training/coaching background, I have always been taught to look at the mindset first, and I think that applies a lot to the idea of Marketing as a concept. 
    I appreciate the responses.  I am new here to StartUpNation and am hoping that a thread like this can help expose people to a bigger idea of what Marketing can be, as well as learn from others some ideas I may not have had before about the subject.
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    I`ll ad on to Chuck`s excellent explanation. Historically:
    Marketing = Product, Price, Place, Promotion
    Promotion = Advertising, Coupons, Public Relations, Word of Mouth
    Also. If you`re interested in learning more ... go down to the college bookstore and pick up one of their Marketing 101 textbooks. It`s a very good investment.
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Marketing = Product, Price, Place, Promotion
    Ah the four P`s, I`m getting nostalgic for those old b-school textbooks...three C`s, four quadrants...I need to stop.
    How about the price elasticity of demand? How about good advertising formula: attract, interest, desire, action. I could talk about this stuff for hours. [Somebody stop me please!]