WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Advice needed PLEASE

msnicole220msnicole220 subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Business Planning

Ok so I am a new mom with a business idea.  I would like any type of feedback in trying to execute a plan.
I want to start a delivery service for new mothers and there baby needs.  I know first hand how hard it is to pack up a new baby and go shopping and also how quickly you run out of items (diapers, formula, wipes, Pacifiers).
I would want to make it a same day process. Something where the customer would place an order via email or phone. I know there is no type of service in the area I live.
I am unsure of how to make this happen or how I would even charge.
ANY IDEAS???

Comments

• Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback..This is great information! can anyone throw suggestions on what I can charge for running these errands and delivering to home?  How about a monthly fee? Or should I charge by each errand run?  Thanks again.
  • Options

I am not sure about your community, but where I live most Grocery stores deliver for a nominal fee. It might be a good idea to check. I agree with homebased: running errands such as dry cleaning, take-out etc. might be helpful, and the Mommy Survival Kit is an awesome idea to introduce your company, maybe even a checklist for the new mom or mom-to-be to fill out so you can taylor the package (ie breastfeeding, cloth diapers, organic foods etc).   As a mom of 3 with 2 under the age of 3 I would ask if you have any special talents that you can bring to their home? Can you give a french manicure or pedicure between feedings? A massage? Wash a mean window? You may want to consider becoming certified for childcare and maybe offer an hour or so break to the mom (although it will be tricky to earn their trust for such).How many hours are you available each day? Will you hire people to supplement your hours? Sorry to bombard you with questions, just trying to help you vet.... PS Congratulations homebased, many blessing for your little one on the way!
    I am very felixible as far as how many hours a day i can put in. This shouldnt be a problem. I would be willing to hire depending on how well it goes
  • Options
    daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    Definitely depends on where you live.

Here in Boca, $50.00 per hour for car service to drive you to errands, the MD, etc.

Think about $ 20 per hour would be fair given the price of gas.  Highly depends though.

Do you have competitors?  Find out how much they charge and compete accordingly.
  • Options
    thedreamerthedreamer subscriber Posts: 0
    That is actually a great idea. Your business is probably doing well right now. For those who want to get in the same business, I would suggest that you build your reputation and network first. You should have an idea of how large your market is. Research the type of brand they use as well. This way, you can have enough inventories at home.