WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best Strategy for Obtaining Licensing Deal with Majors

ValerieTKValerieTK subscriber Posts: 2
Hello.
I have an invention that is patent-pending.  My product is used in the gift wrap industry.  It is an improvement/modification to a very common existing product in the gift wrap industry.  My product is bought year-round and is found in most households.
I want to obtain a licensing deal with one of the majors, e.g., Hallmark, American Greetings, CSS Industries, Taylor Corporation, and would like to retain a "licensing agent", representative or intellectual property attorney who has experience at making these types of deals and who I can retain to do the same for a percentage.
Is it commonplace to find a representative to go to bat with a major on these types of deals?  If so, then can anyone recommend a reputable licensing agent, company, attorney, representative, etc.?
And if this is not the best means for my obtaining a licensing deal with one of the majors, then can anyone impart their knowledge and wisdom as to the best strategy/approach?
Thank you very much!
Look forward to hearing from ya` all.
Cheers,
Valerie

Comments

• shelbycountyshelbycounty subscriber Posts: 1
    If I understand you correctly, you`re saying that you have an idea for a product but not the tools to manufacture it.  Is this right?  If so, I would recommend the following: call the small business administration and talk to them (ask them for the information clearinghouse toll-free number) and make sure no matter what that you get an attorney!  You`ll definately need an attorney...and don`t forget the liabiliaty insurance you`ll need too.  (I had a friend that invented a simple "contraption" and after selling over 300 of them, on of them "went wacky" and ny friend was sued for over $250,000--the actual injury to the person was documented as costing less than $100 though)  Hope this helps a little.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    I`m not experienced w/ licensing as I am going the other route, but do you already have a patent or are patent pending?
  • ValerieTKValerieTK subscriber Posts: 2
    Dear ShelbyCounty -
    Thank you for your feedback.  I have the product in prototype and patent-pending.  It is not that I do not have the tools to manufacture the product, it`s just that I wish to obtain a licenseing deal and not manufacture and sell the product myself.  Want one of the majors to license my product and pay me royalties, or one big fat check will due. 
    What is information clearinghouse toll-free number?  I don`t understand and why would I obtain an attorney through the small business administration via this means?  Please clarify.
    Thank you and have a great day.
    Valerie
    Grillcharmer -
    We meet again.  My product is patent-pending.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Have a terrific day.
    Valerie
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Very cool!  Like I said... I`ve got nothin for ya when it comes to licensing but I am always interested to hear where others are in the process.  More posts are coming I`m sure
  • ustarustar subscriber Posts: 1
    Sounds like you are an inventor. Your problem is common for almost all of us. It`s not that easy that you can get you patent licensed by just dial a few numbers.
    You are welcome to come to inventorspot.com to find out the A- Z about inventionustar2007-8-16 19:12:28
    Thank yo Ustar!
    Good fortune to you.
    Cheer,
    Valerie