WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

My new car repair wiki - feedback welcome

bramblesbrambles subscriber Posts: 1
Hi
wikifixmycar.com
I have created a new Wiki that is designed to be a definitive database for car repairs. It includes a (hopefully) intuitive structure that will help DIY`s and Independent Dealers when looking for a repair method.
I`d welcome any feedback on the site, and also any tips to spread the word
Thanks
Ben

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    sweet. Perhaps you could start one for motorcycles too. I know lots of guys looking for how to repair motorcycles or more importantly the plastic fairings that crack easily. That would be a HUGE resource as well.
    Just think of all those Harley owners, those bikes are broken down almost all the time, HEHEHE.....
     ToddF2007-8-1 11:16:49
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Ben,
    I have to agree with Steve.  Your site visiually looks like Wikipedia.  While this look worked for Wikipedia, it may not work for a car repair site.  I would suggest looking for a template that reflects your messages.
    Um you guys do know that there are free based wiki`s out there, right. Most of them follow the wikipedia format and style, its branded like that. Personally I like that it`s similar to wikipedia becasue I know how to use it immediately, I dont have to learn the navigation.  Sure you could change the colors up some but I wouldn`t go overboard with design changes, it`s ALL about the content.
    Ok, I got ya, the easy stuff to change Yeah I would suggest making those changes.
  • bramblesbrambles subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the constructive feedback. Agreed, I need to make it visually different to Wikipedia. My original thinking was to make it recognisable as a `wiki` site - and the best way was to make it look like Wikipedia. Also, the open source software used to make the site means that the template and navigation is the same as wikipedia.
    So I suppose a general question, do you think that a `wiki` site needs to resemble wikipedia to be recognisable as a wiki ?
  • wikiautowikiauto subscriber Posts: 0
    I have been researching wiki auto repair and truck repair websites and came accross this listing. I know its old, and it seems your link is out of date. I would be interested as to why the site did not make it. I have had a similar site running for about a year.
    www.wikiauto.com
    It is slowly growing, and the comment above about motorcycles is something that I had planned on doing. I think after reading the comment that I need to get that added in. But back to my question, what were your challenges with this site?
  • kaja757kaja757 subscriber Posts: 0
    good site.. post abt motorcycles and some tips and tricks for maitenance