WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Helping people save money

TxDavidTxDavid subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2008 in Selecting a Business
I have a business idea for a website to help people stretch their money. 
The concept is to create a localized website that will list activities & suggestions for individuals or families that are low-cost or no cost.  While I think this will be a great resource, I`m not sure how I would be able to maximize my earning potential.  I know I can sell advertising on the website, but what other ways will I be able to make a reasonable income? 

PS..This is my first post, but I`ve been lurking for a while.  Thanks for all the suggestions, past & future.
TxDavid11/28/2008 1:10 PM

Comments

• Tabor88Tabor88 subscriber Posts: 3
    Have any more information on exactly how you plan to help people "stretch their money"?
    Is this like a blog site?  I apologize, I`m just trying to get a better idea of exactly what you have in mind with this.Also, in order to sell advertising on any website you are going to need a large amount of traffic yourself.  What are your plans for getting the users?  What`s your budget for marketing? Tabor8811/29/2008 1:53 AM
  • TxDavidTxDavid subscriber Posts: 1
    Have any more information on exactly how you plan to help people "stretch their money"?
    Is this like a blog site?  I apologize, I`m just trying to get a better idea of exactly what you have in mind with this.Also, in order to sell advertising on any website you are going to need a large amount of traffic yourself.  What are your plans for getting the users?  What`s your budget for marketing? 
     I`m not sure if I would use a blog layout or not, I`m still planning the site.  So far, my idea is to inform people about events and specials around town that are free or low-cost.  For instance, you`re sitting at home broke & bored, what is there to do?  The website would be able to help you find things within your budget.  I would also post weekly deals or local specials - anything that will help consumers save money.  Any additional ideas that pop into my head during development would be incorporated as well.
  • WayneLiewWayneLiew subscriber Posts: 3
    Well, if it is localized enough, you might probably end up getting endorsements from local businesses. Also, they might provide coupons just for your readers and so on. Not a bad business idea here although it will require some offline marketing.
  • trapweedtrapweed subscriber Posts: 1
    Once you get it up and running, endorsements is one way to go. Another might be sponsored events, where businesses pay a fee to be in the top 10 things to do for a weekend? Your options will probably hinge on how much traffic you can generate and the interest level from locals.
  • RetiredMember5RetiredMember5 subscriber Posts: 0
    So far, this sounds interesting.  With today`s economy, anything you can do to help people maximize their dollar is greatly to your advantage.  Check out our FREE entrepreneur guide as to the "How Tos."  This may assist you further.