WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Whats the average income of a subway restaurant owner?

Comments

• Options
    KaysKubbiesKaysKubbies subscriber Posts: 0
    If you really need figures check the Barnes & Dunstable Reference or Hoovers in your local libraries. B&D is free information for the gathering. There many ways to find out income freely as well as marketing demografically etc. There is just leg work and it can`t always be found  on the internet for free. But a good local college library usually has all that info. Just go to the information or reference desk. No disrepect to anyone! I find that online anyone can just through out figures and info they have collected offline or info I already had.
  • Options
    nickynack25nickynack25 subscriber Posts: 0
    To: jrhiii

Do you have and email i could contact you on? I am about to purchace a
    subway.
  • Options
    tobeornottobetobeornottobe subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I am looking at purchasing a subway. The owner states the profit margin is 25% and it is absentee owned. I thought by working there myself I could get it up to 35%. This is based on $400k/year. Does it seem like the owner is not telling the truth? I am in the prelimenary stages and have not made any offers or seen any books yet. I have never owned a Subway but I have owned my own painting business in the past. Any advice on what to ask the owner when I meet with him? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Michael Campell
  • Options
    cheezethiefcheezethief subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve enjoyed reading all of the comments on this post, even though there is a lot of inaccurate information. My wife`s brother and Mom own six Subways between the two of them, and neither if them have "lost their shirts". They both started with virtually nothing and now have comfortable lives with what they do because of the fact that Subway franchises are relatively inexpensive to start. The worst store they have nets around 35000 after mortgages, fees, etc. and their highest producer nets 100,000+ .
     What people need to realize is that any business venture is going to be a risk, but the risk is significantly reduced if you are halfway smart about it. The reason people use franchises in the first place is because most franchises are proven formulas for success. But for example, you cant just go stick a mcdonalds out in the middle of nowhere and expect it to produce, you need to research vigorously the location, accesability, parking, surrounding businesses, surrounding housing, neiborhoods, etc.
    I would never say that one could become rich, or even well off by owning one subway franchise. But owning three, four or even five strategically established subways can merit a pretty comfortable life.
    I don`t know anything about quiznos, but if a subway franchise is failing, most people could look at that subway and see why it is failing (poor location, not very accessable from the road, hard to see from the road, etc.) So you can`t just say "my brother in law ownes a quiznos and failed, therefore most people who own sandwich shops fail". If that were the case, there would be very few subways, quiznos`, etc. (but we all know that isn`t the case).
    Thats my 2 cents
  • Options
    gabriel2700gabriel2700 subscriber Posts: 0
    Do the Subways on military bases do better than `average` Subways? Is it more difficult to get a franchise on a military installation?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    omar1975omar1975 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Anyone here recently started a subway restaurant can give me some input on how well it`s going and how much net profit/month. and how satisfied are you being a new owner of subway. please send me a tell or post here. Thanks.
  • Options
    WannabeWannabe subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    This is purely anecdotal information but might be helpful.  The few times I`ve gone to a local Quizno`s store during the day I`ve found the wait is excessive.  I`m not referring to the wait in line, I`m referring to the wait for a sandwich to be made.  It almost seemed as though the sandwhich makers were taking their time.  This comment has been repeated by my co-workers who rarely go there anymore.  For those of us with 30 minutes to an hour for lunch......any kind of wait can mean the difference between being a frequent patron and a customer who goes elsewhere for quicker service.  Don`t get me wrong......I love Quizno`s food and stop there on weekends.  However, for office hour lunches.............nope.............I go somewhere else.
  • Options
    daylightdaylight subscriber Posts: 0
    I am interested in starting a subway and would love to talk to you about your best advise.
  • Options
    chazteechaztee subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Does anyone have any kind of  information on the impact Wal-mart has had (now hosting in-store Subways) on existing franchisees. I live in a fairly rural small town (pop. 8,500) that supports 2 franchises and 1 Wal-Mart internal Subway...with all 3 locations within 1.5 miles of each other.
    Thanks for any insight from current Subway owners.  
  • Options
    Roxy7Roxy7 subscriber Posts: 0
    I am looking into subway franchise.  I am looking for the bottom line.   Sounds like an opportunity for me.  Do you usually lease a building or purchase a building?  What is the average size building needed?   How much is an average lease per mo?  I am sure this is different according to size of building and its location.  I feel that about 1200-1300 sq feet is enough.

This seems to be a great thread

Roxy

• Options
    TimTheInvestorTimTheInvestor subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey guys, I am a 23 year old table games dealer and real estate agent.  I have always had a very entrepeneurial mindset and I am hoping to start some kind of business within 3-5 years.  The reason I got into real estate 2 years ago is to start investing in real estate so that I have some equity to leverage against or pull out to put towards starting a business.  Anyway, I have wondered if a franchise is a way I would want to go and Subway and Dunkin Donuts immediately come to mind.  I was wondering if you need a lot of cash for starting these types of businesses or if any types of business loans are available?  For instance, if it is estimated to cost say $185k to start up a subway, would I need that in liquid assets and/or equity or could I look for some type of SB loan to cover some of the cost?      
  • Options
    omar1975omar1975 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You need to fill up and application with Subway and they will send you all the info you need to know.
  • Options
    tash14tash14 subscriber Posts: 0
    I`m also interested in buying a subway for my parents. We currently have a conveniant store and could sell it to put up the money for a subway. We are looking to buy an existing one over starting a new one. What is the average selling price of a franchise? Particularly in Northern New Jersey or the Lehigh Valley/Allentown area of PA?
    My uncle recently installed a subway in his gas station and says it has been very good-net profit of about 10K a month.
  • Options
    SeleucusSeleucus subscriber Posts: 0
    Tash I may be selling a Subway in the Bethlehem area.  PM me.
  • Options
    bobbbobb subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello, I am a new franchisee and I need help. I have two partners and we formed an LLC. I am only being allowed to sign the sublease as an individual but I want to operate the store using the LLC. How can I operate the store using the LLC and protect my self behind the shield of the LLC when the sublease and the Franchise are on my name? I also need to operate as an LLC because I have other partners. Can anyone help me with the experiences they have in LLC`s or at least point me in the right direction?