WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Vinyl sticker, need help/guidance

tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Selecting a Business
hi all,
i`m looking to start a business making and selling vinyl stickers for cars and catering to my local small businesses.
i`ve been searching high and low for guides or `how-to` choose my equipment and the process of making those stickers.  thus far my search is unsuccessful.
i`ve found plotters ranging from $300 all the way to $5000.  though i`m sure i won`t need the $5k machine, which machine in the lower $300 can i use?
has anyone done or doing this business who can help me?

Comments

• Options
    JBSurfsJBSurfs subscriber Posts: 10 Member
    Sorry, I can`t help you there, but I do have a few ideas for you.

As bad as it sounds, go to a place that makes some, buy a very few and find out what machine they are using.  then, you know the quality of it and can research the price of it. 

Also, I live in a beach town, and boating is huge.  Vinyl letters are a big market as they usually only last 8 years and everyone likes to name their boats.
  • Options
    tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4

Sorry, I can`t help you there, but I do have a few ideas for you. As bad as it sounds, go to a place that makes some, buy a very few and find out what machine they are using.  then, you know the quality of it and can research the price of it.   Also, I live in a beach town, and boating is huge.  Vinyl letters are a big market as they usually only last 8 years and everyone likes to name their boats.

very interesting, i haven`t even thought of that yet.  unfortunately i don`t know anything about boats or the sizes of the names.  i wanted to start out small with stickers for the gas cover and windows on cars first to gain experience before taking on a big boat job.
    there`s a couple of chains around here, not too many, i doubt they will let me go there and look at it.  plus i`m sure they have industrial size machines, i`ve seen some and they`re HUGE.  wouldn`t be a good starter for me.
    thanks though, still looking around.
  • Options
    DougsterDougster subscriber Posts: 4
    I think it was good advice, try & get in and do your research from a company in your area. Yes, they might have much larger machgines then you need, but by doing so you might be able to make some contacts & gain info. Get the machine manufacturers name & ask them if they have smaller end machines.
    I also thought the boat idea was good.
    Its something I might consider buying in the future, if we are going to be ripped off from price gouging oil companies then we might as well be promoting our own products & services.
    Good luck/skill