WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Feedback

CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
edited February 2007 in Website Critique
Hello! I am new to a lot of things, including this forum, creating web sites, and running my own business.
I am trying to get my college consulting business off the ground, and I am not sure if my website communicates what college consulting is and its benefits, as well as what I have to offer.
My website is www.CollegeStrategiesOnline.com</A>
Thank you in advance for any feedback you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for you suggestions, they were exactly what I needed! I always felt that I wasn`t getting everything across but I couldn`t ever pin point what exactly was the problem. Now I have a starting point to work from.
    Also, I weighed back and forth about having a splash page, I thought it would make me look more professional, but I agree it is more important to get right down to business when people find me.
    I have decided to integrate a new template and am fast at work with the re-writes. Thank you again for your suggestions. I already love this forum!
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    I recently wrote an article on copywriting. It provides some of the information you want. Craig makes some great points as well. Overall, I liked the "feel" or "energy" of the page but it could use sharper copy. Looks like you provide a valuable service.
    Copywriting Article:
    ?TID=3637&PN=1
  • Options
    Cookiemonster--Your article was right on point! I am frantically working on the new copy, and I feel more confident that I can get the right message across.
    nhgnikole--I agree that parents have become overcompetitive with their kids, but I also know the flip side when it comes to college admissions, and all types of schools are expecting perfection from their applicants. The slightest mistake or typo could mean the difference from getting admitted to being waitlisted or denied. So my target market includes students trying to attend any four-year school. I actually most interested in working with first-generation college students who really need all the help they can get.
    But thanks again for the feedback, it is truly appreciated. I can`t wait to get my new site up and running! Back to work I go.
  • Options
    337design337design subscriber Posts: 3
    Two cents from 337 Design - The Website Company:1.  Right now you`ve got two different versions of your homepage... one that has the cool flash header, and one that is empty white on top.  Make sure they`re consistent.Good: http://www.collegestrategiesonline.com/ ... v2.1/eshop _book_v2.1.tem/index.htmBad: http://www.collegestrategiesonline.com/
  • Options
    337: Is every message you post going to contain an advertisement at the top? It really seems as if you`re less interested in helping and more interested in promoting yourself.
  • Options
    Two cents from 337 Design - The Website Company:1.  Right now you`ve got two different versions of your homepage... one that has the cool flash header, and one that is empty white on top.  Make sure they`re consistent.Good: http://www.collegestrategiesonline.com/ ... v2.1/eshop _book_v2.1.tem/index.htmBad: http://www.collegestrategiesonline.com/
    I noticed that also. However the version you are reviewing is the 2.0 version. This version includes all the textual changes that were suggested by the other members (which I would once again like to thank them for).
    Anyway, I had some problem in the upload of my new template and the flash file won`t appear on the main page when it first comes up. Because I can only deal with one major crisis at a time, I am going to tackle this problem early next week. Hopefully the actual information that is there will get people interested rather than a missing picture. 
  • Options
    I like the new version better but I think the heading is too negative. Negative copywriting rarely works, and you probably want people to experience your business as a source of positive ideas and so forth. Just a thought.
    At any rate, the heading is also incorrectly focused. You don`t offer a 67% percent failure rate, do you?
  • Options
    With respect to 337, I wasn`t trying to be snarky, or to make anyone laugh, but I suppose a laugh never hurts. It`s just that I`ve seen quite a few of his posts and they all start out with that advert! It`s gratuitous. It screams "Please notice me!" He has a signature, like everyone else, and I think that`s where the advertisement belongs. But ... alas ... I am not king and I really have no right to say anything.
  • Options
    PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    Sorry CraigL.  I am currently the Emperor of the Known Universe and Conqueror of what`s left.  The position was open when I applied and no one has yet attempted to lay claim to the title.  But don`t worry... I plan on retiring soon!  I`ll let you know when the position re-opens.
  • Options
    Craig, I love being King Of Earth. You guys can go ahead and fight over the rest of the universe. Meanwhile I`ll rule this planet with an iron fist!
  • Options
    Focus on the other dimensions. I will keep the subjects on Earth in line.
  • Options
    PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    I just happened one day to be perusing the universe when I came upon the 1.5 million images image of the moon derived from data accumulated by the http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/clementine/clib/</A>
    I was randomly putting in longitude and latitude co-ordinates when I happened upon the combination - Latitude 10 and Longitude 56 with a 768x768 resolution with 1 pixel = 1 kilometer
    Now I`m not one to run out and talk about aliens in our midst but can someone tell me what that cube is in the image?
    I`ve got a universe to run here!