WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Creating a Niche in Already Small Industry

CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
edited March 2007 in Business Planning

The company I have offers `college coaching.` I offer a service that has been around for years, but it is a small industry that typically catered to families that were trying to get their children into Ivy League schools AND they had the money to spare. However, my industry is changing and more diverse individuals are taking advantage of the services that college consultants offer. In general college consultants meet with families in person, but the majority consult with families over the phone.
When I initially created my business plan I did my research and structured my business similar to other companies that offer services, and I have been successful with my current model. However, as I continue to think about growing my company, and making it more manageable for me, I would like to incorporate more online communication opinions. I have already identified the services I could utilize that would make this possible.
My question, because the industry I am in is already really small, does it help or hurt to offer services in a `non-traditional` format? Because no other company similar to myself is offering what I want to offer I don`t really know how I can truly research how successful this venture could be. I have contacted a few psychologists that offer counseling online and have received mixed reviews on their ventures.
Any advice on how I could investigate this venture would be greatly appreciate? Or is this just something I need to take lead on and see what happens?

Comments

• Options
    Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I understand what you are trying to do. To make yourself standout. Well you could over financial advise. That plans out the college experience like a business plan.This way you can show pitfalls along the way. Life coaching for both parent and student to the changes that will take place of the next four-five years.Offer a student business plan make them put together a business plan on what they goals re after college. you could if you don`t already offer many of the student grants provide by local community groups. I know I do grant finding for non-profit groups and see many grants for students. I hope thishelps. 
  • Options
    CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
    Thanks Wire and Raise for the responses. I think that I am getting more comfortable with the idea that I can build my business stepping away from what has been tried and true by everyone else, and put my stamp on things the way I really want to set them up. Raise you are absolutely right that I can`t be all things to all people, so by changing my structure I may miss some business, but hopefully I can also gain business for the very same reason.