WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Newsletter help

I have a good base for my newsletter that targets a niche sport.  I have a good readership but really dont have any products to make money from it.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I could make money from my newsletter without a product? 
Thank you,
Jason Thoerner

Comments

• Options
    rajinenterprisesrajinenterprises subscriber Posts: 3
    I`d start with offering advertising within the newsletter. If you do have a good readership, then use that stat to sell advertising. While shopping for advertising, you may run across some product that you have commonality with and be able to partner/share ideas/tweek to become your little niche.

Just my 2 sense worth!
    Jamie
  • Options
    thoerner13thoerner13 subscriber Posts: 3
    This is a newsletter that I email to the people on my list.  How effective do you think signing up for a few affiliate programs would be?  Thought I could direct my list to shop with these links and generate some money that way.  Just not sure how much one can make doing this.  I really could buy equipment for my sport and sell it online but that would take a big investment and there are several online stores already up and running.  So I don`t think that is the route I want to go.  Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Jason Thoerner
  • Options
    RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
    This is a newsletter that I email to the people on my list.  How effective do you think signing up for a few affiliate programs would be?  Thought I could direct my list to shop with these links and generate some money that way.  Just not sure how much one can make doing this.  I really could buy equipment for my sport and sell it online but that would take a big investment and there are several online stores already up and running.  So I don`t think that is the route I want to go.  Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Jason Thoerner

I started with affiliate marketing when I first thought of starting a business.  And I have been a part of several forums who have successful marketers who promote other peoples products. I didn`t get around to getting an autoresponder to create a newsletter because I don`t want to be primarily an affiliate marketer.  I`ve signed up with Clickbank, which has digital products and a few other affiliate programs like commision junction and shareasale.  In my opinion, it`s best if you are able to purchase the product yourself first, before trying to recommend it. If you have several people who respect you and enjoy your newsletter, you run the risk of discrediting yourself by promoting junk. 

There are good downloadable products with Clickbank, however, there are also a lot of refunds with some of there products. It`s best to do your research well if you don`t purchase it yourself, or to sign up for their free newsletter or e-courses first to see if they are on the same page as you.  There are also affiliate programs you can sign up with that have physcial products. Same applies to physical products you don`t purchase yourself, do your research.

Most of the newsletters I have received have something that they recommend, which they will profit from, if I purchase. As a recipient of a newsletter, I will 99.9% of the time unsubscribe if it turns more into a sales pitch rather than being more personal with an occassional recommendation.

Those who I`ve been associated with say they do make money with this method in their newsletters so long as they do it correctly.

I hope this helps,
    Julia
  • Options
    thoerner13thoerner13 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks Julia!  I guess I would like to use links to more traditional stores like Target,Walmart or Amazon.com.  This way people could just shop at their usual online places while raising some money for our sport.  I am doing this to raise funds for our sport not really to make money for myself.  I understand what you are saying about e-newsletters that just pitch products and give no real reason to read them.  I will make sure our newsletter stays on target with providing the best insight into our sport.
    Thanks again!
    Jason Thoerner
  • Options
    RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Julia!  I guess I would like to use links to more traditional stores like Target,Walmart or Amazon.com.  This way people could just shop at their usual online places while raising some money for our sport.  I am doing this to raise funds for our sport not really to make money for myself.  I understand what you are saying about e-newsletters that just pitch products and give no real reason to read them.  I will make sure our newsletter stays on target with providing the best insight into our sport.
    Thanks again!
    Jason Thoerner

Good thinking, using Walmart, Target and Amazon are definitely better options than those I mentioned. The commission is a lot lower, however, you will keep your credibility, which will benefit much more than extra money.

Glad I could help.

• Options
    RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    Why without a product?
    What is your expertise?What value do you have to deliver?Answer those three questions and then consider creating audio CDs, booklets, useful resources and tools.These will be low in production costs and can be high in value.I have audio CD programs for sale on my website, which are actually edited-down copies of teleconferences run for members of my Private Clients Mentor Program. These CDs sell for USD $45 and sell very well.The elegance is that I had no additional work to do!The teleconferences are being held as part of the Mentoring Program anyway.Rgds,Ric
  • Options
    EricCorlEricCorl subscriber Posts: 0
    Riverspirit had some good suggestions. 
    If you haven`t already, you should look into IContact`s newsletter service for small businesses (http://www.icontact.com). The company is run by Ryan Allis, and  he`s built  a solid entrepreneurial culture that could probably help you in generating new revenue streams in addition to the information offered here on startupnation.com.
    Hope that helps.
    Eric Corl