WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Should I market to women?

mymobimindermymobiminder subscriber Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in Marketing
My service (my mobi minder) is a free reminder service that sends reminders to cell phones via text message.  It`s a simple service that you can schedule reminders 365 days in advanced.  Most of the time things like this are more for the business types or the husbands that tend to forget birthdays and anniversaries. 

But my thought is that this would be very helpful for the on the go "soccer mom".  

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Absolutely, as a woman, I have used reminders via my cell phone. In fact, just yesterday my phone reminded me to call my niece for her birthday. In addition, it helps with other reminders like meetings, due dates for various items (candy drive sales monies due, field trips, etc.) I think your service can be used by all including college students who live more on their mobile phones than reviewing the syllabus - reminders are useful for all.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

My service (http://www.surveymonkey.com/ Dale KingDKing4/16/2008 3:57 PM
  • SandyPISandyPI subscriber Posts: 8
    Good question, my company Confadate offers background screening for online dating clients.  We are a licensed private investigation company that is fully compliant with all state and Federal laws that pertain to background checks.  I believe that most of our customers will be women-all though men should be careful about who they are meeting and giving any personal information to.  Any ideas on the best way to market this?
    Thanks for any advise,

According to Guy Kawasaki if women don`t like the idea then get rid of the idea. Women have a second sense if something is going to be a hit or not.

That`s a generalistic bunch of hogwash! Women aren`t any more capable of predicting if something`s going to be successful than men are. Depending on their business acumen, experience and instincts, men and women are equally capable.

Dale King
    DKing4/16/2008 7:00 PM
  • mymobimindermymobiminder subscriber Posts: 5
    DKing, although you make a valid point, I did not intend for this to replace proper market research.  I am mirely just getting some opinions before I move to the next level.

I agree that men and women are equally capable, however, in defense of winston2`s comment, women are typically the household point person in charge of the datebook, so I think in the case of my product it would be true.

Most business people are going to have PDA`s and such that do the reminders automatically, so the less techminded demographic may end up using my service more. 

But, like you said it will take more research to know for sure.

Dale, have you ever read any of Guy Kawasaki`s books?

Yes, I have. In fact, I own a copy of, "How to Drive Your Competition Crazy." However, unlike most people, I don`t necessarily agree with or accept everything I read. I read and digest the material, and form my own opinions. I often reject a lot of what I read, because my own experiences and conclusions are often different from the author`s.

Dale King
    DKing4/17/2008 3:11 PM
    Oh okay, I misread your post... I took your previous post to be an all-out hostile rejection of Guy Kawasaki`s work as a whole.

Paula, I have a very blunt, aggressive and direct style and personality. That`s who I am. Unfortunately, it sometimes comes across as hostility - but that`s NOT who I am. Members who have actually taken the time to get to know me will tell you that I`m actually a very nice guy. Just ask members Ric Willmot or Andrew Rondeau.

Dale King
    DKing4/17/2008 3:27 PM
    Dale I have no doubt I enjoy your posts here and FWIW haven`t ever thought of you as overly aggressive, which is why I was a little surprised. Direct is good... especially in a marketer!

Thank you, Paula!

Dale King
  • nycemsnycems subscriber Posts: 2
    I think this idea of yours should make it big. Not just for soccer moms but for everyone in businnes, big or small. Go ahead and do more reasearch....it will be a hit. Write back and let us hear your success story....God bless!! 
  • RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    I would like to make a mention here of Dale.
    His no-nonsense straight to the point approach is something I admire and seek in people.
    As long as you read his posts without emotion, you will see he is always giving his best advice in your best interests.
    I read his posts on his blog regularly. They are valuable and worthwhile.
    Rgds,
    Ric