WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Marketing My Products

blbblb subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2006 in Marketing
A few years ago I volunteered to create a t-shirt for a non profit fund-raiser without having any prior experience creating t-shirt designs. The project was a success and it gave me the idea of designing and selling screen-printed clothing for profit.
I made a list of all  the things that interest me to try and find a direction to go with creating my very own shirts.  My list consisted of 20 things that I have passion for such as excercise, military, police, florida & the ocean, kids, politics, etc.  I then came up with ideas for shirt designs for each of the categories. 
I then used Guru.com to hire artists to illustrate the first 3 designs. Each design cost me $300.00 on Guru.com.  I was excited to be able to hire professional artists who provided me with artwork that looks 100 times better than I could have imagined.   My 1st 3 designs were cartoon style shirts depicitng funny scenes with alot of action going on in the scenes.  The 3 shirt designs were a florida theme, a swat raid, and  a military scene.
I tested the shirts on Ebay and they sold well but the profit margin was low due to the cost of the shirts.During this time I also created an embroidered kid`s baseball cap with a cute design that sold well. I would like to market these products to retail and online stores and possibly Walmart and Target but I feel overwhelmed trying to get it going. I would even be willing to sell the rights to the designs if I could find a buyer.
I  have the product line started ,now I need to learn how to market the product which is what lead me to this informative site.
Barry