WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Apple Mac vs. everything else

2»

Comments

• Options
    CooltruthCooltruth subscriber Posts: 0
    Windows Vista Ultimate! That`s what I`m running on my laptop & I`m very satisfied with it. Have you tried out both PCs & Macs? If you`re used to one, it can take a while to get comfortable using the other from my experience. Don`t try to `upgrade` whatever OS is running on the computer you`re buying if what is on it is working OK. That seems to be the `bottleneck` where people run into issues with them. If you want the Mac OS that is coming out in October then wait until October to get a Mac already running it. Prices vary a lot so shop around for best deal. Tiger Direct has good deals on refurbished PCs. Bought this laptop complete with Vista Ultimate on it refurbished for approx $700 & it looked like it was brand new when I got it! That`s a hard deal to beat either PC or Mac. Now I`m expecting a Linux fan to come onboard with their better deal that runs Linux.
  • Options
    joshchristyjoshchristy subscriber Posts: 2
    I would consider myself a mac fanboy, been with the OS since version 6 (yikes). Have done development everything from 3d fly-through videos, programming, and graphic design. A windows box or a mac would suit you just fine. Make sure you don`t start comparing a $500 pc from dell or gateway to a new mac pro and think that you are getting the same type of comptuer. Basically it is the old adage of "you get what you pay for". That being said I would look into a imac 20" or a 13" ibook to get you rolling, not as much for expandability as a desktop model, but you could get into either for 1000- 1200 and it would be a great workhorse for you. I personally just got rid of my g4 tower and purchased a refurb`d intel mini, put a 20" ws monitor and upgraded the ram for about $850 total.
  • Options
    joshchristyjoshchristy subscriber Posts: 2
    Windows Vista Ultimate! That`s what I`m running on my laptop & I`m very satisfied with it. Have you tried out both PCs & Macs? If you`re used to one, it can take a while to get comfortable using the other from my experience. Don`t try to `upgrade` whatever OS is running on the computer you`re buying if what is on it is working OK. That seems to be the `bottleneck` where people run into issues with them. If you want the Mac OS that is coming out in October then wait until October to get a Mac already running it. Prices vary a lot so shop around for best deal. Tiger Direct has good deals on refurbished PCs. Bought this laptop complete with Vista Ultimate on it refurbished for approx $700 & it looked like it was brand new when I got it! That`s a hard deal to beat either PC or Mac. Now I`m expecting a Linux fan to come onboard with their better deal that runs Linux. You could get into a linux box from dell around $500 also. if you are looking for a cheap entry into the market that wont require the processing power or ram of vista. Thanks for the *nix request.
  • Options
    CooltruthCooltruth subscriber Posts: 0
    Mine is a Systemax which has a good deal for what you pay for `refurbished` from TigerDirect. A decent Dell laptop used to cost at least three times that! I sometimes get Emails offering incredible deals on laptops except there isn`t any OS installed on them. The perfect deal for Linux users, except I want them to be `operatable` when unloaded from the box...
  • Options
    starpointestarpointe subscriber Posts: 2
    Just a thought...the responses seen on here will be very biased because only those individuals who are really passionate will make the effort to respond. And most Mac users are very vocal about their choice.
    I`ve been using XP on a Dell for about 4.5 years now and haven`t had a single problem. About a year and a half ago, I decided I wanted more memory so I bought some, plugged it in and just moved on.
    I`ve been extremely happy with my PC and wouldn`t consider a Mac. I`m sure they are reliable but I need to be able to run the widest variety of programs for my business and don`t have time to try to find hacks to make everything work together.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    It`s been at least 20 years, and the debate continues. 
  • Options
    txbassguytxbassguy subscriber Posts: 0
    and so this debate continues to this day. for what it`s worth - i still have an amd k6-2 computer running win98, probably about 7 years old as a file server - runs just fine. another home built computer running win98 - probably about 6 years old, still runs fine. Two Dell laptops that run no problems - one IBM Thinkpad that`s about 7 years old that still boots up.Recently got an XP machine a couple years ago - a refurb desktop that runs with no problem at all.So I`d have do disagree with everyone here and say PC. But that`s because I`m more familiar with them. And it`s not true that Macs don`t ever crash or break down - I`ve had my share of Apple Performas that have crashed. But if you`ve got a totally closed end system with one company developing hardware/software you`ll more than likely not have as many compatibility issues. But in the end - it really doesn`t matter - whatever you`re comfortable with. I can still accomplish what I need on my 5 year old machine at times faster than someone with new hardware.But then that gets back to another topic of Apple opening up the `Apple Clone` market. Just my 2 cents.
    txbassguy2007-8-24 14:31:3
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
  • Options
    HondoTechHondoTech subscriber Posts: 3
    For what it`s worth I am going to chime in my opinion here. I own/operate a computer tech store (sales, service, repair) located in Texas.
    We need to clarify a few terms being tossed around, because some of the comparisons that are being posted arent entirely accurate.
    PC stands for personal computer, which originally back in the day meant anything smaller than the room sized computers that used to be used, Compaq originally coined the term and came out with the first "PC", to include Macs (which are really Apples, which is what MS/DOS was originally designed for, but I am going off on a tangent now).
    Today, the term PC really means any Windows based computer (almost said PC, cant use the term in the definition now can ya).  Dell (owns Alienware), HP (owns Compaq), Gateway (owns Emachines) and the myriad of generic and boutique brands out there fall into this category.
    Macs up until 8 months ago, ran their own operating system OS X exclusively, and their own hardware. When Apple finally caved and started using Intel chips instead of their own IBM chips, you can now run Windows on a Mac.
    To sum it up so far... its hard to compare a Mac (a brand) to a PC (a genre).
    Here is the honest-to-God problem with PCs as a whole... crappy/lazy software (programs, device drivers (software that makes the hardware talk)).  Windows 98, 98SE, ME, and to a lesser extent XP were designed with a wide latitude for margin of error when it comes to running code (think software).
    Your average customer goes to a big box store and purchases a $49 Lexma** (dont want to get into trouble) printer and installs it on their home PC, 6 hours later, for some unknown reason, their internet connection starts developing problems and we unwittingly blame it on Windows, now why a printer manufacturer would require that its printing software have unfettered access to the internet is beyond me (I actually do know, but thats another rant). So the problem actually lies inside the printer software code that broke your Internet Explorer connection because its the printer software is trying to get your IE connection to do things it does not recognize and Windows will try to make it right.
    I feel like I am getting waay off course here... let me try to sum it all up.
    Mac (being a brand as well as a computer) controls ALL the hardware and is much more stringent on the software working with their operating system, which is why there is so much less of it (software).
    PCs and all their different flavors allows for some pretty interesting hardware/software combinations. If you decide to purchase from one of the BIG 3, dont spend less than $1,000 (sans monitor) for a desktop, or $1,600 for a laptop.  The specifications at that point really don`t matter, but the quality of the components that go inside are much much much higher than you $299 *ell desktop splashed all over the TV. Higher quality hardware directly translates into higher quality device drivers (software) for those parts. If you purchase from a reputable local shop (my choice), you will get much more bang for your buck over the BIG 3.
    Windows Vista changes everything in the PC world. The biggest screamers and complainers are the people or manufacturers trying to run software (think device drivers for the hardware) that is not certified to run on Vista.  Vista changes the way EVERYTHING works, buggy software will flat out not run, software that trys to do things that could potentially destabilze the system (crappy programmers) will not run. In fact, you could reasonably say that Macs (now being able to run XP) are more PC-like than Vista machines.
    I am not a MS advocate, nor am I a Mac hater, I like to think I just take care of my customer`s needs in any way that I can using whatever tools I deem necessary.
    Vista has gotten a lot of bad press because it lost the backwards compatibility that has PLAGUED Windows since 95 (which was really just DOS with graphics).  So all the hardware/software that has been floating around since the mid 90s no longer works.  If you dont follow the Vista rules, you do not get to play. That is exactly how Macs have operated btw for the last 17 years and yet noone seems to have made that connection (beat up on the big guy syndrome I guess).
    Vista is ready for primetime... unfortunately a lot of hardware/peripherials/software (did I spell that right?) isnt ready for the new set of rules to play by. Almost forgot... Vista Compatible or Vista Recommended is a marketing ploy, if it does not say Vista CERTIFIED it hasnt passed the play nice test and you are installing at your own risk.
    Recap (again):
    Macs are fine when your running Mac software, the minute you add Windows to the environment, you have the potential to bring all the old legacy problems with you if choose anything but Vista.
    PCs are fine as long as you keep the price up (if you shop at garage sale prices, expect garage sale like results, crap.) like we talked about earlier and try to run Vista if at all possible if you can handle the reduced hardware/software selections (sounds kinda like a Mac doesnt it?!?) for awhile.

Hondo Tech
    (personal opinions below, take it for what its worth)
    Anything Lexmark = crap
    HP color lasers = crap (they pull from every color to make black even though there is black cartridge present)
    HP black/white lasers = average, anything with personal in its name = price gouge when it comes to replacement toners and parts. Professional/Commercial series = fantastic, but you pay for it.
    Epson = good to excellent, you pay a bit more, but its worth it.
    Brother = same as Epson, makes great SOHO equipment.
    Compaq = just a rebranded HP with a suckage warranty.
    HP = crap, loaded with tons of trialware (software that you must buy after 30 days, etc.) and full of software bloat (software that is much bigger than it needs to be and trys to do to much at once.)
    Dell = if you spend less than $800 (think 99% of the Dimension line) for just the tower, get to know your local computer tech real well, put em on your Christmas card list. XPS systems much better computer.
    Gateway = somewhat crap, not as crappy as HP. Read your warranty very very carefully.
    Symantec = crap. Used to be awesome, loved em, nothing but software bloat now.
    McAfee = crap, I dont understand why they are still in business, I seriously don`t, here is a tidbit for ya, any computer reselller can pick up McAfee anti-virus for about $7, I personally wouldnt take it for free.
    AVG - fantastic anti-virus software. Paid or free version 100% the same.
    Emsisoft - A Squared anti-malware software is fantastic.
    Webroot Anti (whatever) - developed in cahoots with Best Buy, which is why they shove it down your throat, take a look at A Squared.