WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Does Anyone Have a Kleenex?

2»

Comments

• LazarusLazarus subscriber Posts: 0
    All flavors of Soda are indeed called "Coke" down South, and many older Southerners refer to their Refrigerator as "The Frigidaire"
  • BarbRBarbR subscriber Posts: 5
    In Michigan, soft drinks are referred to as "pop", not "soda".  I have to be so careful when I travel to just ask for exactly what I want by name, and not ask, "What types of pop do you have?" when I am at a restaurant.  Instead, I ask, "Do you have Diet Coke?"....I was in a very small restaurant in Virginia a long time ago and made the mistake, and I think everyone in the place had a good laugh.  At first, I had no idea what they were laughing at, until I realized that "pop" is a midwestern thing. 
  • LipserviceLipservice subscriber Posts: 0
    How about "Chap Stick"? I manufacture and market my own lip balm. It can be quite trying having other folks call it "Chap Stick". Lip balm or "Lip Service" would be much nicer!
  • PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    Aspirin belongs to Bayer... maybe cause "acetylsalicylic acid" just isn`t too catchy or even pronouncable.
  • ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    Photoshop it!So I guess it won`t work as well if I use Paint Shop Pro, or the GIMP to do photo editing.
  • profitablegamesprofitablegames subscriber Posts: 0
    Kimberly Clark does a terrific job with a number of well-known brands (Huggies, Kleenex, Depend, Kotex - to name a few). And I think they continue to work at it with the cutting edge marketing tactics they now undertake. However, I would argue that it`s not considered good marketing to have Kleenex a household name unless it means that individuals are not willing to accept a substitute (Puffs, for instance).
    Kimberly Clark had to fight to have Kleenex identified as a brand name rather than a generic in the dictionary, because of the risk that poses. If the name gets thrown around too generically, it loses its true branding / value. A classic example of this is styrofoam.
    I believe they do a good job in spite of the fact that people refer to it as a generic word.
  • BarbRBarbR subscriber Posts: 5
    I haven`t been on here in a while, but I did come up with another that I wanted to share: 
    Make sure to TiVo that show!!!!